Best Book(s) You've Read, So Far, This Year (2017)

(Jennifer D.) #1

Hi everyone!

How are you all doing? :blush:

I am very curious to hear about the best books you’ve read, so far, in 2017. (Fiction or nonfiction.)

Which books have really blown your socks off and wowed you this year?

Can’t wait to hear your replies!!

Happy reading.

(Jennifer D.) #2

While I definitely have had a couple of 5-star reads so far this year, my reading year seems to have had more duds in it than WOWs. It’s been a bit of a bummer… but I hope to hear some awesome endorsements from you all for great reads, and maybe that will help perk up my reading too!!

(Jennifer D.) #3

Here are my standout reads, so far, in 2017:

5-star (and a re-read for me). incredible writing and structure:

4 ½-star, rounded up to 5 (but perhaps the book I have loved the most this year):

5-star – such an impressive debut:

5-star – ‘right book and the right time’ read. charming:

(Janine Tabor) #4

So just the real stand out reads,

Latest in a very good time travel series.

Not released in 2017, but that’s when I read it. That applies to a few more,

(Jennifer D.) #5

i own a copy of ‘on the water’s edge’, but keep hearing very mixed opinions on it… so it continues to sit on my shelf, unread. i am glad to see you really liked it, @Janine_Tabor! :blush:

(Janine Tabor) #6

That and the author’s other book, Water for Elephants, are two of the best books I’ve ever read! It’s not my usual choice of subject matter, but was very well written. If you’ve got it, I suggest starting to read and making your own opinion.

(Kate Minckler) #7

Okay, so I’m not getting through many books this year as a new mamma, but what I am finding is that the books I do read really have to grip me and be an escape. I can’t be dealing with any books that I find hard work!

So along those lines, I’ve been rekindling my love of fantasy which dropped away when I went to college and had to read “proper” literature. :stuck_out_tongue:

This was a real page-turner for me this year:

The Bear and the Nightingale (I can’t remember how to get the cover to show here…?)

One of those got-to-get-back-to-it books that make you not want to do anything else. And I can’t wait for the sequel coming January 2018!

(Jennifer D.) #8

ooh - cool to hear. i have a copy of that one, so i am happy to hear your endorsement, @Kate_Minckler!! the cover and description made me feel like it might be a great winter read – i love reading to the seasons. :blush:

to get the image to show, just copy and past the URL from riffle books - and hit return so it’s on its own line.

(Jennifer D.) #9

thanks, @Janine_Tabor! I still haven’t read water for elephants either… a friend loved that book, and i went with her to see the film when it came out. not at all the same thing, i know… but i keep thinking i need to forget more of the movie before reading the novel.

(Janine Tabor) #10

I haven’t seen the movie. Was it good? Sometimes I don’t want to spoil a good book by watching a movie that doesn’t do it justice.

(Kate Minckler) #11

Yes! It would be a perfect winter read - so much of it is set in the heart of winter, with the snow-deep woods and then cosy kitchen scenes. And the fairy tale it draws on is all about the Winter King. If I hadn’t read it already I’d definitely save it for when the nights draw in. :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #12

I liked it, and thought it was fine. my friend LOVED it. i totally understand your hesitation!! :blush:

(Jennifer D.) #13

Sounds excellent!!! :blush:

(Kim@Time2Read) #14

I always have trouble with naming the ‘best’ so I’m just going to list a few I really enjoyed.

Nonfiction:

Fiction:

(Jennifer D.) #15

nice list, @Kim!! they all sound great, and a couple are on my own TBR list, so i am happy to know you endorse them! :blush:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #16

I’ve got three that I would consider the very best for me, and three that are coming in closely behind the first top 3. :slight_smile:

This one was published 10 years ago, but man did I love this book!

The other three are:

This one was so beautiful. The insides matched this beautiful cover!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #17

I like seeing all the very different choices for everyone!

(Jennifer D.) #18

me too!! and it’s so great to get ideas for Mt. TBR :blush:

(Janine Tabor) #19

I’ll see it then when I can access it. Thanks Jennifer!

(Wendy Barker) #20

Most of the standout reads for me have been older books. I think it is important to go back in time to see what books have stood the test of time. There is one exception: The Last Good Man by Linda Nakata. It’s set in the near future when artificial intelligence has become sophisticated and prevalent in almost every walk of life, including being a soldier.

The next most contemporary one is Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood. I listened to the audiobook which was narrated by the fabulous Canadian actor R. H. Thomson. It’s Atwood’s retelling of Shakespeare’s The Tempest and she has set it in a jail with inmates acting out the play. Even if you are not a fan of Atwood or of Shakespeare I would recommend it.

Others this year include: As for Me and My House by Sinclair Ross (a depression-era story from Saskatchewan), Pilgrim by Timothy Findlay (his exploration of Jungian psychology), Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb (life for Muslim women in Ethiopia and then Britain), Silk by Alessandro Baricco (story about a Frenchman who goes to Japan to buy silk worms and falls in love), League of Dragons by Naomi Novik (the conclusion of her terrific series about dragons in the time of the Napoleonic Wars), Farthing by Jo Walton (alternative history set in a Britain that made peace with Hitler after Dunkirk), and The Bone People by Keri Hulme (Booker Prize winner from 1985 about three people in New Zealand who become a unit after experiencing suffering and loneliness).