Best Book(s) You've Read, So Far, This Year (2017)

(Jennifer D.) #21

He’s so good!!!

Thanks for sharing some of your standout reads, so far, @Wendy_Barker! You’ve read some great books.

:blush:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #22

Great list of books to add to the TBR Wendy!

(Sheryl Jeffries) #23

I can’t wait to read the two fiction novels you have listed, I’ve been a long time fan of Joshilyn Jackson! I’ve read some good books this year it’s pretty hard to nail them down.

(Elaine ) #24

I have a List for that. :blush:

https://www.rifflebooks.com/list/241227

(Jennifer D.) #25

love it!! thanks for sharing it, @Elaine; you’ve read some great stuff! i keep a list for all the books i read each year… but haven’t done a ‘best of the year’ before… i don’t think??

(Gwen Stackler) #26

Hands down, my best read of 2017 so far has been [https://www.rifflebooks.com/books/887000](The Blood Of Emmett Till by Timothy B. Tyson)

Hmm, I’m not getting it to show right.

(Olga NM) #27

I also loved the Bear and the Nightingale. Fabulous.
For people who love historical fiction and female protagonist, I’ve read several books by Liza Perrat and can recommend them all. The most recent one:

I’ve also been reading recently some of the books longlisted for the ManBooker Prize. The two that I think will stay with me for a long time are:

and

I wonder if either of them will make it to the shortlist.
I haven’t read LIke Water for Elephants but enjoyed the movie.
Thanks for a very interesting discussion.

(Jennifer D.) #28

thanks for sharing, @Gwen_Stackler!

i think you just need to put it on its own line, with a space before and after. i believe that will then get the link to preview.

:slightly_smiling_face:

(Jennifer D.) #29

i am so curious to see which books make the shortlist tomorrow! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Olga NM) #30

I acquired two other books on the longlist last week but I haven’t had a chance to read them yet…

(Jennifer D.) #31

heh – yes! the ‘so many books, so little time’ problem is one we all understand well!! :wink:

(karenbrissette) #32

man, how is it already september and already time to be looking back on 2017 reading? there have been some really strong contenders this year. i second

and i am really excited to read the second book in that series.

also

and of course,

because i am so highbrow.

(Sahara Foley) #33

I really haven’t had much time to read this year and I’ve been busy writing. But the books I have read and rated 5 stars for 2017 are indie authors. They are:

(Dana Fraedrich) #34

Haha, I had to look back at my list remember most of the books I’ve read this year. I can’t believe 2017 is almost over! Okay, so my most recent favorite read was Zombie Playlist by KJ Chapman. Reading it is kind of like Shawn of the Dead meets Hot Fuzz. It’s hysterical!

(Jasmin Begić 88) #35

Osho’s “Being in Love.” It made me wanna :sob: and it made me wanna :rofl: But in the end all I felt was tears of :joy: once I understood what he was trying to say. Hands down the best book that I’ve read so far in twenty-seventeen, and it really made me fall in love with his philosophy. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

(Shelf-employed) #36

Born a Crime: Stories form a South African Childhood is Trevor Noah’s memoir of his life in apartheid-era South Africa. Even if you’re not a fan of Trevor Noah, you will still find his stories and his unique perspective on race relations to be both entertaining and eye-opening. His mother is an absolute wonder!

If you were under the impression that South Africa under apartheid was much like the Jim Crow era in the U.S., you’ll be surprised to find the depth and the calculating and insidious nature of South Africa’s government-sanctioned racism. Apartheid was designed not only to subjugate people of color, but also to keep them warring among themselves. Of course, since Trevor Noah is the author, it is also a book with warmth and humor. Rather than bitterness, Trevor Noah learned perspective and understanding from his experiences. You will too. :slightly_smiling_face:

9780399588174_custom-cf8eb3ca0662a3fdd66d3124cc40203e87cefa39-s200-c85

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #37

I continue to hear amazing things about Trevor Noah’s book. I hear it is an absolute gem of an audiobook since he narrates his own story. I’m looking forward to reading it that way - I think he’s an amazing person!

(Kate Minckler) #38

@Peggy_Minckler I know you read so many great books!! Curious to know what your favourites have been this year? :smiley:

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #39

LOVED The Almost Sisters.

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #40

Since Jennifer was so kind and helpful to let me know how to get a book cover in my post, I am going to edit this post and add book covers. THANKS, Jennifer.

Favorites this year were:

THE BAKER’S SECRET by Stephen P. Kiernan.

THE TRUST by Ronald H, Balson was good too.

LOVE AND OTHER CONSOLATION PRIZES by Jamie Ford was fantastic.

I read quite a few amazing books so far this year, but those are three that come to mind.

Elizabeth
Silver’s Reviews
My Blog