Currently Reading (Fiction)

(Jennifer D.) #21

I am now reading Grace, by Natasha Deón. This is a debut novel and, so far, i am impressed.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #22

I started listening to The Hidden Letters of Velta B this morning. So far I'm falling in love. I tried out 2 or 3 other audio books, trying to find the one that was just right, and this one is the winner!

(Janine Tabor) #23

I have this one on tbr too. So many books, so little time!

(Jennifer D.) #24

Ain't that the truth, @Janine_Tabor?? :smiley:

(Jennifer D.) #25

okay, so i finished grace last night and it is an incredible (debut) novel; so powerful and visceral. i highly recommend it.

(karenbrissette) #26

that one is definitely on my to-read list. waiting for paperback... i just started the animators, and it is already soooo good.

(Jennifer D.) #27

i'll be keen to hear what you think of the animators, @karenbrissette! i have that one somewhere in the wings. :slight_smile:

(karenbrissette) #28

i will surely tell all! i don't get much reading-time on the weekends, but it seems like it's going to be a fast read, of the "i don't want to put this thing down" variety. and i have a copy annotated by the author, which is so delightful and illuminating!

(Jennifer D.) #29

over the weekend, i read my name is leon - a debut novel from kit de waal. it was so good!! i definitely recommend it!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #30

A friend of mine just ordered this book in @karenbrissette! I've seen reviews for it like "it was amazeballs!", so interested in hearing what you have to say about it!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #31

I've had this one marked down to read - so happy to hear it was such a great read for you @Jennifer_D!! It sounds so good and now it's got your thumbs up so it will need to be moved closer to the top of the TBR!

(Janine Tabor) #32

I've started reading The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. A definite recommendation for the Fantasy fans!

(Jennifer D.) #33

This morning, I finished reading Heidi Durrow's debut novel, The Girl Who Fell From the Sky. It was good... but I was left a bit wanting and was not as fully engaged with the story as I had hoped to be.

Now... trying to decide what to read next... hmmm?!? :blush:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #34

I'm getting back to Pachinko and I will focus and read only Pachinko! I've picked it up and put it back down 3x now because library holds have come in. Nothing else is due to arrive, so I'm going to settle back in with it. It's been very good so far.

(Jennifer D.) #35

I hope you will love it, @Penny_Kollar . I am pretty keen for that one!!

I've started reading The Rabbit Back Literature Society... it's very early on, but it seems like it will be fun and quirky.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #36

I really am enjoying Pachinko! It's one of those where it is easy to get lost in, becoming completely consumed by it, and you don't really want to have to put it down but you have to because you can't stay awake any longer. :slight_smile:

Oh! And thank you @Jennifer_D for the suggestion of Straight Man by Richard Russo! We're off to a very humorous start already (the dog situation) - I'm listening to it in audio so it's making the trip to and from work a delight already.

(Jennifer D.) #37

PHEW!!! :sweat: i always get so nervous in making suggestions - especially when it's books i love. i always want the other reader to enjoy a book as much as i have. and, of course, everyone's experiences will be different and personal. i truly hope the books sustains for you. i can imagine it would be a good one on audio.

so glad to hear good things about pachinko!! yay!!

(Jennifer D.) #38

I finished reading the rabbit back literature society last night... meh. i don't know... in theory, it ticked all the boxes, but in execution it just fell flat for me.

i am now onto the yellow eyes of crocodiles, by katherine pancol. so far, it seems interesting. though at only 47 pages in (and given it's so early, i don't think it's much of a spoiler, and the book's description mentions the main character's husband's affair), the 3 female characters (main character, her mother and her sister) in the same family all have cheating husbands. so... boo to this until i see where it goes. haha!!

i am trying to focus on more works in translation this year! (rabbit was translated from Finnish; crocodiles is translated from french) i've fallen short in including them over the past couple of years so really want to improve this stat in my reading. :blush:

(Jennifer D.) #39

i began reading the patriots last night.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #40

I'm really looking forward to reading The Patriots too Jennifer! I just finished reading Pachinko, another sweeping multigenerational novel, so I'll give myself a little more time in between my epic reads! :slight_smile:

I did finish Pachinko last night and sweeping and epic and multigenerational are indeed great descriptions. A very good read, my only quibble was the tacking on of two characters with their troubles and woe and suffering at the end. I think they were superfluous and not necessary to the story.

I'm now going to start on The House on Selkirk Avenue - a story involving the October Crisis.