Currently Reading (Fiction)

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #61

I did like Everything I Never Told You too, and it's interesting to hear Rabbit Cake be compared to it. Hmmmm. I may have to add this one to the TBR pile.....In reading a bit more of the description, this book popped into my mind too, The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes (and no, not because of rabbits, hahaha) . Which is a fantastic book! It's very, very funny, but very, very sad too (the title kind of gives some of it away!) and I highly recommend. I think it sounds more like a match to Rabbit Cake than maybe Where'd You Go Bernadette (but shrugs I haven't read it yet!) :-0

https://www.rifflebooks.com/books/778718

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #62

I read The Cellist of Sarajevo...good too - but Unquiet Dead is still better. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

(BookBroad) #63

It kept popping into my feed as well, and when I saw it at the public library, I figured I'd give it a try :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #64

Well, you've got several of us keen for it now, so YAY! :blush:

(Jennifer D.) #65

today i am reading rose tremain's the gustav sonata. it was longlisted for this year's baileys women's prize for fiction. unfortunately, i am not loving it very much - which is a bit of a bummer.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #66

I've just started (like really, just started, not far into them at all) two books - one on my tablet (clean up some Netgalley requested books!) and one paperback: All the Best People and The Music of the Ghosts. I've decided that I'll read all the way through All the Best People first before going back to put all my attention on Music of the Ghosts. :slight_smile:

I also started listening to To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. It appealed because Juliet Stevenson is the narrator. She's a lovely, lovely person to listen to, but this story is just not grabbing me. I may abandon it....try something else....

(Cheri) #67

I love listening to books narrated by Juliet Stevenson!

(RiverTree Reads) #68

This weekend I'm cleaning out basement so I'm listening to audiobook fiction by Beth Moore "The Undoing of Saint Silvanus" - it's a good murder mystery and well narrated.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #69

I have to admit I shelved this particular audiobook - not Juliet Stevenson's fault at all - I just wasn't grasping what was going on - I think To the Lighthouse is one I have to read on paper. :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #70

i hope you all had a great weekend! did you get in some quality reading time?

i did... though i couldn't quite finish my book, and fell asleep on it last night. oops. but i will finish it today! :blush:

i had previously read and enjoyed lyndsay faye's jane steel, so decided to go back to her earlier work and began the timothy wilde series with the first book, gods of gotham. so far, it's very good!!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #71

Nice choices! I really liked Gods of Gotham too! I have the other 2 in the series on the shelf, I just have to get to them. And I really liked Jane Steele too!! That was fun reading!

I returned a book to the library yesterday - when it was open - so of course I had to browse the new releases shelf. I came home with Cary Fagan's short story collection, The Old World. What uniquely written stories! Based on photographs, he's imagined stories for them. Some have been really good, some are a little strange - they are all very short!

I started on the weekend, but only read a few pages of The Custodian of Paradise. The final book in this trilogy is being released this summer? Fall? So I thought of reading this one to be ready to read the next book. I read the first, The Colony of Unrequited Dreams, but a really long time ago...

(Cheri) #72

I picked The Heavens May Fall this morning - it's Audible's Daily Deal - and it's holding my attention. I only know see from the blurb I just pasted here that it's a sequel of sorts. I've been listening for about two hours and don't feel like I've missed anything for not knowing the first book. Good sign!

(Janine Tabor) #73

I'm re-reading David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. I get in Dickens moods every so often.

(Cheri) #74

I started The Bear and the Nightingale yesterday and am absolutely in love with this book.

(Jennifer D.) #75

I am so glad to hear you love this one, Cheri! it one i am quite interested in too!!

(BookBroad) #76

I've just started The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry and The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #77

I was digging around, and browsing and trying to find a read that I could settle into, lose myself in - I opened a few books, read the first couple of pages, wasn't really feeling those...
Then i opened up my Kindle app and remembered I had John Boyne's newest waiting for me (thanks to Netgalley) so I thought I would start that one - it's fantastic. I'm not that far into it yet, but it's very good and I'm really happy I found this one to read. :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #78

i love the cover design for this book, @Penny_Kollar! and how awesome that it's already fantastic for you! YAY!

(Jennifer D.) #79

i am finally reading zadie smith's on beauty. my in-person book group is meeting this friday and this was the chosen read. i am about 100 pages in and still a little undecided. parts have been amusing, and i do love smith's style. but she has created some really frustrating characters, so it will be interesting to see how they evolve, or if they evolve. i do feel like there will be lots to discuss, so it seems like a great book club pick for that reason. :blush:

has anyone read this one already? if so -- did you love it?

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #80

So, this sounds like something completely up my alley. It was never on my radar.....now it is.... :slight_smile: Let us know how it goes for your book club - perhaps this could be a "meatier" one to pitch to my in-person book club.