Currently Reading (Fiction)

(Jennifer D.) #81

I hope it will make for a good discussion. I ran into two of the neighbours on Sunday, and they both were heading into rant territory over one of the characters, but then caught themselves and said they would save it for book club. Heh!! :blush:

(Cheri) #82

Finally buckling down to finish Missing, Presumed. I started it months ago (another on my extensive NetGalley list) but got the audio book the other day from the library. Perfect time to check this one off! And it's narrated by one of my favorites, Juanita McMahon.

(Jennifer D.) #83

i've been feeling a bit jostled about in my reading lately... so i decided to re-read a book i really loved when it was first published in 2002. carol shields is such a sensitive and insightful writer, and this is a contemplative novel. i am enjoying it very much this second time through. :blush:

(Janine Tabor) #84

A re-read for me, but I saw it was on sale this weekend and just got in the mood to read it again A Spark of Justice by J.D. Hawkins.A Spark of Justice

(Jennifer D.) #85

if you copy a book's URL from Riffle, and paste it on its own line in a discussion comment, it will embed the book with the cover and link. :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #86

i am reading our first book club selection - the twelve lives of samuel hawley - which is quite good, and the discussion has been great!

but apart from that novel, i am floundering about a bit, having trouble settling on a read.

i have both no one is coming to save us and the scribe of siena underway. both felt quite different from '12 lives'... and though they are good, i am feel distracted and feel like i need to start over with both of them. hmmm!?

what fiction have you been reading lately?

(Jennifer D.) #87

oh -- and if you haven't checked out the new book club discussion, come on over!! :blush:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #88

I've been seeing that it's "Short Story Month" for May...so I finished reading Twelve Lives (I just saw in one picture that the book is also published as "The Twelves Bullets of Samuel Hawley". I think I like Twelve Lives better eh?) and started on two books that are short stories.

I think that's been helpful in my reading right now @Jennifer_D - like you, I've had a weird feeling of trying to find and settle into something that's really going to suck me in. So hopefully after finishing these two short stories (and heh, Waiting for Stalin, even though marketed as a novel, is less than 200 pages so it is short enough to hold me over?)

Waiting for Stalin to Die isn't actually marketed as a short story collection - but it is broken down into 4 distinct and different stories of 4 Lithuanians fleeing their country and escaping to Toronto in the 50s. So far it's been quite good.

The second collection is Guy Vanderhaeghe's Things As They Are?. I've just read one of the stories so far.

(Jane D) #89

I am currently reading the Riffle book club selection and enjoying it very much

Very soon I will need to start reading for my in person book club next month,

(Jennifer D.) #90

i'll be curious to see how this one goes for you! this was a rare DNF for me. :disappointed:

(Katherine Ivan) #91

I'm currently reading COLD GIRL by Canadian author R.M. Greenaway. Winner of the 2014 Unhanged Arthur Award for Best Unpublished First Crime Novel (which resulted in publication) and shortlisted for the 2017 Arthur Ellis Award, COLD GIRL is the first title in the B.C. Blues series featuring mismatched RCMP investigators Leith and Dion. Also, I bought a set of THE DARK TOWER series for my dad for Father’s Day and am planning a buddy read with him (hopefully we’ll finish before the opening day of the upcoming film).

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #92

I'm floundering around a little bit. :slight_smile: I read The Heirs which was very dry like toast - oddly bland and lifeless way of storytelling? Anyway, it was quite boring. Was it because I just finished the really wonderfully told story of Eleanor Oliphant? I don't think so - I was taken aback by the bland, matter of fact, dry telling being done in The Heirs. Odd. :disappointed:

Anyway, I've started Americanah - which has lovely writing and storytelling - but I don't know if I want to get too far in the reading before the book club discussion starts? :wink:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #93

Oh :grin:
I just checked my library site/holds and The Vanishing Futurist is about to come in any moment for me now. I guess this will cover me for now about reading too far ahead with Americanah! :slight_smile:

The Vanishing Futurist looks like something fairly different from what I would normally read, so here's to hoping it works out well!

(Jennifer D.) #94

that cover design reminded me of this book by ned beauman... which is still sitting on my shelf, unread, from seeing him at an IFOA event (annual festival of authors that runs for 2 weeks every Fall, in Toronto) in... 2013!! DOH!! So! Many! Books

(Jennifer D.) #95

I am really floundering about in my reading right now. Can't find anything that is appealing to me at this moment... and feeling... super picky, and ready for something to absolutely WOW me!!

I've just decided to set aside this book, which I have been trying to read for several days now. It should be working awesomely for me, but I am just not enjoying it. I will try it again at a different time, though!!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #96

YES! I know! Same here!! I didn't read The Teleportation Accident - was reading through some of the books in the long-and-shortlist for the Man Booker when Teleportation Accident was listed - just never got around to reading this one. (All were a little weird that year. I blame "Cousin Matthew"/Downton Abbey! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: )

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #97

Bummer!! I have The Lost Book on my TBR -- but yeah - sometimes you just have to be reading the right book at the right time!

I just go with my gut at these times. I reach for something that makes me feel like I want to be reading it - not "having" to be reading it - you know what I mean? I don't know if that's any useful advice....

Or there is closing your eyes, spinning around and then pointing at your bookshelf and grabbing whatever it is that your finger is pointing to. :slight_smile: :laughing:

(Jennifer D.) #98

le sigh. cousin matthew!! :wink:

(Jennifer D.) #99

YES! and i am sure that's all it is for me -- timing. the writing is not terrible and it should be fun/interesting... but just not working for me right now

i do have a lot of have to read books at the moment, and i do think that is coming into play regarding my reading mood.

haha -- pin the bookmark on the bookshelf © (hahaha!!!) but i actually think i just invented a new party game!

(Cheri) #100

Well, the past few weeks have been up and down emotionally and insane with regard to time. We lost a beloved fur child (12 year old German Shepherd) and, a couple weeks later, adopted a 7 year old cat from the humane society. Day job and side job craziness and wrapping up the school year for my 7th grader topped it off. I've had so little time to read with my eyeballs but have been rolling through audio books.

This morning I started The Night Circus, which has been on my TBR list for at least a couple of years. Still have The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley sitting next to me on my desk and have avoided looking at the discussion thread so I don't ruin anything for myself.