Dungeons and Dragons - Favorites

(Myles ) #1

Just putting up a sounding board - if you’re a player or just love reading the manuals, what are your favorites?

My go-to is the Eberron Campaign Setting and attendant manuals of 3.5, with its steampunk influences and the ability for characters to really explore the whole length and bredth of the world if they desire.

But, have a soft spot for Ravenloft, especially adventures like:

Where characters are deprived of their identity and equipment and have little but their wits to solve the puzzle and save the day (as much as anyone can save the day in Ravenloft)
created1

(Riffle Horror) #2

I used to be a Dungeon Master/Gamemaster type but in the last decade, I couldn’t find anyone to play with – not anyone who would commit for a campaign. I collected Ravenloft for D&D 3.0-4.0 but I didn’t really read much. I sort of kept it for that day someone wanted to play it. I did collect and read Planescape for D&D 3.0-3.5. I loved that setting and the myriad of (sometimes really messed up) planes (i.e., settings) that branched off of Sigil.

In 2015 I purchased a PDF set of Monte Cook’s Ptolus: City by the Spire campaign setting which is the only one I’ve ever read straight through from cover to cover. It was an education on how to design our own campaign and set my world on fire.Unfortunately, we moved less than a month later and I haven’t found people to play with here.

Planescape isn’t supported anymore (curse you Wizards of the Coast!) but I’ve found a lot of what I loved about Planescape in the role-playing game Numenera.Numenera is one world that can branch off into thousands of little subsetting, whatever your imagination can think of. It doesn’t quite have the in-your-face attitude that Planescape had and there is no substitute for Sigil and the philosophies that can move the city towards one plane or another but it has a more creative game mechanic – more role-playing and less number crunching.

Numenera-Corebook

Interesting that D&D 3.0 and 3.5 were co-designed by Monte Cook who designed Ptolus and Numenera.