Favorite YA Books

(Charlee Vale) #1

I'm always interested in hearing about people's favorites--they can be so incredibly varied, and they always spark discussion!

Some of my favorites include:

Fire by Kristin Cashore
Impossible by Nancy Werlin
Delirium by Lauren Oliver

and a couple of recent books that I've read that are clinging to my faves are The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall and The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson!

(Adrielle) #2

Hi! I am not terribly well read in this category so I am looking forward to this discussion. I'll be taking notes! I like Daniel Handler's Why We Broke Up; it is my favorite of the "first love/first heartbreak" sort of stories I've read.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game is on my list of all time favorites over all including everything.

(Alice Fan) #3

There's almost too many to name! But I ADORE Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races, and her current Raven Cycle books are my favorite on-going series!

For fantasy, like @Charlee_Vale1, I loved Cashore's Graceling and Fire. Last year, I finally read Melina Marchetta's Lumatere Chronicles and they are mind-blowingly good!

(SERIESous Book Reviews) #4

This is a super tough question to answer!

I haven't read Fire yet though I loved Graceling! That series is one that I hope to finish this summer--it has probably been 4 years since I read Graceling!

I would have to say that The Vampire Academy series is my top YA series. Just a great blend of action, romance and suspense! It's the standard I hold all other paranormal series to to be honest.

I'm still looking for a great Maggie Stiefvater book. I didn't particularly love the Wolves of Mercy Falls series and the Raven Cycle doesn't interest me. The Scorpio Races has been on my TBR list so I'm hoping that one will be the winner for me!

(Alice Fan) #5

@SERIESous_Book_Reviews You know, I didn't love Maggie's Wolves of Mercy Falls either. I only read Shiver and never felt the need to continue. So I almost skipped Scorpio Races, but thanks to a friend's recommendation, I picked it up and it's now one of my all-time favorite books! The writing and story is just gorgeous, though I know one of the bigger criticisms is that Scorpio is a bit too slow to start. It didn't bother me, but it might help to know that it's an atmospheric book going into it. Hope you love it!!

As for the Raven Cycle, I think the summaries for the books don't necessarily communicate their appeal because they are weird books! It's hard to put into words what the story is about. I'm not even totally sure, and I've read them! I just know that I adore everything about the series, especially the characters, and I'll follow them anywhere. So maybe if you're more curious in the future about the series, here's my endorsement. wink

(SERIESous Book Reviews) #6

@Alice_Fan Good to know about the slower start to Scorpio Races. Normally I like faster-paced books but knowing it does take a while will encourage me to keep reading! I'm definitely moving it up my TBR list this summer!

Maybe I'll give the Raven Cycle a shot. I know that people either love it or hate it but I'm willing to give it a try smile

(Angie Saylor) #7

This is a really super hard question. There are so many YA books out there that I love.....so I will try and just mention a few. lol
The Delirium series is awesome. And just a few weeks ago I got to meet her!
The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Got to meet her a few years ago.
Marissa Meyer's Cinder series is a wonderful twist on the fairy tales. Met her last year
Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
City of Bones series by Cassandra Clare
The Immortal Rules series by Julie Kagawa. And her Iron Fey series. I am still working on finishing the series. Got to meet her several times.

A few more recent ones that I really liked were Falling Kingdoms, Book 1 and 2 by Morgan Rhodes, Flat-Out-Love by Jessica Park, and Doon, by Carey Corp and Lori Langdon.
I also started a series called Bloody Jack, by L. A. Meyer(who passed away in August 2014). It is a series about the adventures of a young orphaned girl who pretends to be a boy to become a ships boy on the war ship, HMS Dolphin. I have been listening to the audio of this and it's wonderful. The interesting thing is the author wrote the last adventure for Jackie years ago so that there would be an ending to the series when he passed.

(Angie Saylor) #8

I really liked the Scorpio Races too. I haven't read the Raven Cycle books yet. They are on my TBR list.

(Alice Fan) #9

@Angie_Saylor Oh, if you loved Scorpio, I think you'll like the Raven Cycle. It's less atmospheric, but the characters are amazing and the setting is just magical. Hope you like it!

(Charlee Vale) #10

Everyone is talking about The Scorpio Races! I have it but I haven't read it yet. Looks like I'll have to bump it up my list. smile

(Charlee Vale) #11

There's a bunch of great new YA books coming out in May. I'm currently reading Making Pretty by Corey Ann Haydu, and it's really great! Are you guys looking forward to anything in May?

(SERIESous Book Reviews) #12

The two May releases that I can't wait to read are: Rogue by Julie Kagawa, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas and An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir.

I'm currently reading Rogue and really enjoying it so far. I have A Court and An Ember out from the library and I am so excited to start them!

(Charlee Vale) #13

I actually just finished ACOTAR today and it was great! I think you'll really like it.

I read Ember back in November when I had an ARC. I had a lot of issues with it and am having a hard time what people are loving about it, so I'd love to hear what you think when you're finished!

(Eduardo Suastegui) #14

I hate to be cliched in my response, but beyond the Hunger Games, I really haven't found much in the YA category that enthuses me. I have run across a lot of badly written YA, and sort of been turned off by it, actually. It's really not the YA part, but the not-so-sharp, karaoke vibe of much of what I've found, unfortunately.

(SERIESous Book Reviews) #15

I really enjoyed ACOTAR but was a little underwhelmed by it. It was just missing that little umph.

The same can be said about Ember, it was just missing that little something. There were definitely parts I enjoyed (mainly anything with Elias) but others I wasn't overly impressed with. But I liked the grittiness to it and why I think so many people enjoy it is because it doesn't hold anything back and they find that refreshing.

(Brandy Erdmann) #16

I'm loving Andrew Smith's books, Grasshopper Jungle being my favorite so far.

(Megan Haskell) #17

I loved Susan Ee's END OF DAYS series, and the SPIRITWALKER TRILOGY by Kate Elliott is another favorite (I think it counts as YA...not sure).

Pretty much anything by Sherry Ficklin is good, too! I loved EXTRACTED (need to read the rest of the trilogy) and I just finished QUEEN OF SOMEDAY not too long ago. QUEEN OF TOMORROW is already loaded on my Kindle. smile

(Megan Haskell) #18

I bet you'd like EXTRACTED by Sherry Ficklin. She writes YA that's not so over-the-top angsty high school, and EXTRACTED in particular is a strong steampunk time travel adventure. The characters are young, but that's about the only thing that makes it really YA.

(Christa Guild) #19

I loved the Graceling series by Kristin Cashore! I'm not much of a fan of series, so her books were really perfect for me. She also has a really great blog if you're interested! I've always been a big fan of Libba Bray's as well; I read and reread A Great and Terrible Beauty so many times in high school.

(BookBroad) #20

One of my favorite YA series is the Tiffany Aching Series by Terry Pratchett. I've also really enjoyed Marissa Meyer's Cinder series,the Dave Barry Neverland series, The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and the Splintered series by A.G. Howard. I have not read the Maze Runner series yet, but only because it's so popular, there are never any copies available in our library.