#FridayReads

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #221

I didn’t like this book as much as SNOWFLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN.

(Cheri) #222

I ended up really enjoying it. I hope you do too!

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #223

Which book are we talking about please?

(Cheri) #224

I replied to your comment on my post about The Wife Between Us.

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #225

Thank you. I can’t figure out these discussions yet. Appreciate your reply.

(Jennifer D.) #226

yes, that’s exactly right, @Elizabeth_of_Silver_s_Reviews. hitting the red ‘reply’ box (if you scroll to the bottom of the thread, you should see the red reply box) created a new comment in the thread for you. if you hit reply on a comment, that shows as a reply to that specific comment, rather than a general new comment in the discussion thread.

you can also select text to quote in any reply, if you are responding to someone else’s comment(s). use your cursor to highlight the text you want to quote, and a ‘quote’ icon will appear, which you can then click on - this takes you to a reply box for your comment. it looks like my reply here as i used the ‘quote’ reply to your comment.

:slight_smile:

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #227

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

(Jennifer D.) #228

hello, friday!

how are you all doing today?

which book do you have your nose in today? (i hope it’s a great one!)

happy reading!!

:slight_smile:

(lovely image by sarah wilkins.)

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #229

Happy Friday! Finally! Wow this week seemed overly long!

I finished one book, Crimes of the Father, which I thought was excellent. But have been on a bit of a reading break the last 2 nights? I mindlessly watched Law & Order Criminal Intent episodes last night. :slight_smile:

I did read one short story in this collection, Artefacts by Rebecca Burns. It was short and powerful.

I’m also to pop into the library today to pick up Seven Days of Us, and for our in-person book club I’m going to start reading Little Fires Everywhere. In audio, I’m listening to A Great Reckoning.

I’m looking forward to this weekend for sure!

(Jennifer D.) #230

@Penny_Literary_Hoarders – i am always so wowed by your multi book abilities. :smiley:

(Jennifer D.) #231

last night i started reading the 3rd book in amy stewart’s constance kopp series. the previous two were good fun. so far, this one is taking me a bit to find my reading legs with it… but there’s good potential so i am still hopeful of a great read. :blush:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #232

I never ever used to be able to do this! Well, I mean, really I’m reading one at a time kind of - listening to one. But this is a newer thing for me to do - maybe it helps with the All the Books feelings/anxiety? :joy:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #233

I bought the first one - really need to get around to reading this series! So many books - again!! haha

(Kim@Time2Read) #234

I am reading a book I won

and listening to an audiobook for my book club discussion next month

(Jennifer D.) #235

ooh!! fun!! it’s always so exciting to win books!

do you think ‘ove’ is a good book club pick? my in-person club is meeting next week, and they always look to me to bring the recommendations. i haven’t gone through my options yet but hope to narrow it down over the weekend. :slight_smile:

(Riffle Horror) #236

I can’t believe it is Friday again! :scream:

That means I have to spend a whole weekend with my evil kids – and just after I finished reading the rather disturbing ebook version of The Halloween Children by Brian James Freeman and Norman Prentiss.

It is a story of canceled Halloween celebration, a failing marriage and a pair of kids who get creepier and creepier as the story continues.

I also finished Mongrels: A Novel by Stephen Graham Jones, an audiobook read by Chris Patton and Jonathan Yen. This is a werewolf story that will go in my “Literary Horror” book list. It also starts and ends in Booneville, Arkansas where I happen to live right at the moment.

I’ll end today by beginning two more horror books, both are Halloween themed:

This is my second time reading The Halloween Man by Douglas Clegg, but the first time listening to the audiobook version read by William Michael Redman.

I’m also finally (after a few years of forgetting to read it at Halloween) am getting around to reading the novella The Samhanach written by horror writer and Halloween expert, Lisa Morton. I own the ebook version. I love the cover art on this edition.

That’s it for this week. This is going to be the best read Halloween ever! :ghost:

(Kim@Time2Read) #237

I’m not far enough into it to have an opinion yet. So far, I’m not particularly enjoying it. Ove is coming across as a grumpy, not-all-that-old, man and there doesn’t seem to be a real story yet. But I’m only about 10% into the book and the book seems to be getting rave reviews, so I’m assuming that the storyline will develop shortly. I’ll let you know what I thought of it when I finish.

(Jennifer D.) #238

OMG! so. much. reading! you are a machine, greg (@Riffle_Horror)!!

do you change your reading in the lead-up to halloween??

:smiley:

(Jennifer D.) #239

thank you, @Kim! i hope it gets better for you as you read along.

(Riffle Horror) #240

Hey @Jennifer_D,

Yes, I do. Each October I re-read three Halloween themed books. This year it was the Pine Deep Trilogy by Jonathan Maberry. Next year it will be Dark Harvest and Johnny Halloween both by Norman Partridge and The Night Country by Stewart O’Nan. The year after that I return to Pine Deep and so on.

Beyond those ‘must reads’, I try to read a few new Halloween books if possible. Some years (like the year I moved to Arkansas) it just isn’t possible. This year has been good to me in time to read and access to ebooks and audiobooks. Another positive about this year is Brian James Freeman’s new 5 book Halloween themed anthology series called Halloween Carnival. Each volume is published in a different week this October. Volume 3 just came out on Wednesday (10/18).

As a general rule, I save the Halloween books I might pick up during the course of a year to read in October.

This year I may break that rule. I really want to read the books of Al Sarrantonio’s Orangefield Cycle but I may not get them done until November. We’ll see how that goes. I expect that by the end of October I’ll be :crazy_face: (looking like that guy)