#FridayReads

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #81

I started reading After the Bloom during my lunch - now I have to find out what happens to Rita's mom, Lily. She's disappeared (again).

Same - Music of the Ghosts should be the one I'm reading - but when I started I wasn't sure if my reading mood was down for something heavy like it seems it might be. After the Bloom deals with some heaviness as well, but so far it's hooked me into finding out where Lily has disappeared to. :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #82

to the many lucky enough to to be enjoying it:

will you have extra reading time this weekend?

what are you reading today?

:blush:

(Jennifer D.) #83

i finished up reading vaddey ratner's new novel, music of the ghosts. she has a elegant style of writing, but sometimes it was too much (does that make sense?)

because i've read some heavier novels lately, i needed something a bit lighter. so now i am reading the lovely and introspective lillian boxfish takes a walk. i am a bit of a sucker for novels set in NYC!

:slight_smile:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #84

Happy Friday & Happy Good Friday!
I just finished reading The Old Word, by Cary Fagan. It's a short story collection that was so imaginative. He took a series of random photographs and wrote short stories for each one. So imaginative! Some were really wonderful, and some were quirky and strange. I liked it!

I was considering reading Edgar & Lucy, and started it, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for right now. I'm going to peek around my shelves and see what pops up.

I do hope to get a good deal of reading in this weekend! We've been doing a lot of work around the house, yard work and such, but I do plan on making sure lots of reading is done too!!

Happy Easter!

(Janine Tabor) #85

I've started reading Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch, second in the series. I love how easily I'm right back in that world again!

(Jennifer D.) #86

Ahh, Friday! We hope this week has been a very good one for you.

We'd love to know what you're reading today! Is it great? Would you recommend it to others?

Happy reading! :blush:

(Lovely illustration by Thérèse Cilia.)

(Jennifer D.) #87

It's Friday!!! Time to share our #FridayReads -- this is always such a great way to learn about new books, and grow Mt. TBR to even more unruly proportions!!

What are you reading today?

Do you have plans for the weekend?

Tomorrow is Independent Bookstore Day in Canada and the US. Lots of authors will be visiting Indie Bookshops to help on the sales floors, make recommendations, and sign their own books.

I know lots of people visit libraries on the weekend too -- is this an important resource for you?

Whatever your plans, I hope you have a wonderful Friday, and a great weekend!

Happy reading!! :blush:

(Illustration by David Small from Sarah Stewart’s book, The Library.)

(Jennifer D.) #88

happy friday, everyone! :blush:

i am currently reading - and completely savouring - the novel Unless, by carol shields. it's beautiful and just the right book for me at the moment!!

i am hoping to get to one of my local indie booksellers tomorrow, it's so great to see people come out to support small businesses and the authors are terrific for giving their time to the event!!

LOVE public libraries - such an important resource for every community.

:blush:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #89

Happy Friday!!

I was surprised to find that our local indie store isn't having anything for tomorrow's indie bookseller day. Last year I know they participated. Huh. Maybe scheduling difficulties?

My public library is my life! hahaha. I love the library! I'm actually waiting on one of the books I'll be reading this weekend from there - should be in today!

And the other will be the Riffle book club book - I started The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley last night! So far so good.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #90

I love Therese Cilia's illustrations!

(Jennifer D.) #91

doesn't she do pretty illustrations?? :blush:

(Jennifer D.) #92

Friday!! Phew! I hope you have all been doing well this week!

It's very soggy here in Toronto - lots of rain coming down and continuing over the next couple of days, along with flood concerns for most of southern and eastern Ontario!! We hope everyone will be safe!!

These kinds of days just seem built for staying in and curling up with a great book.

What are you reading today? Did you read any really fantastic books over the past week?

(Illustration from Incidental Comics.)

Happy Friday, and we hope your weekend is a great one!

(Cheri) #93

I'll be wrapping up The Girl with All the Gifts today and then getting started on The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley! Looking forward to getting into it.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #94

PERFECT illustration for today!
It looks a lot like that here too - the rain has not let up in days and it really is a day to stay in bed reading! Damn work! hahaha :slight_smile:

I'm reading the perfect book for days like today - at least it seems that way to me - I've started #11 in Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series, The Nature of the Beast. It's like catching up with a dear old friend. Wish I could be in Three Pines rather than stuck at work trying to make it look like I'm being productive. :slight_smile:

I'm also reading The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley! And I spotted at the library The Lost Diaries of Susanna Moodie - I couldn't resist taking that out. Plenty of reading to keep me busy!

(Jennifer D.) #95

Are you liking it?

I am very curious about this one -- I hope it's very good!!

Ahh. Louise Penny -- old friends, indeed. YAY!! :blush:

(Jennifer D.) #96

I also have our book club read underway - finding it quite intriguing and definitely curious about where it's headed. The style/structure is quite interesting to me.

I finished reading Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant a couple of days ago. It was a re-read for me, but I am having trouble sorting out my thoughts about it, so haven't rated or reviewed it yet. :confused:

Now I have to pick something new to read... and I can't make up my mind. Book problems. We have them!

:joy:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #97

There are so many books it's ridiculous!
I've had a hard time settling down with my reading because I think I'm ALL THE BOOKS! mode -- that's why I just reached for the Nature of the Beast because I knew it would be a good read to help calm me. hahaha

(Jennifer D.) #98

I totally understand that unsettled feeling, @Penny_Kollar!! I finished up all the Three Pines books earlier this year, so now just impatiently waiting for the newest instalment coming this summer!! YAY!!

(Cheri) #99

Are you liking it?

@Jennifer_D I am. I watched the movie last night and enjoyed that, too, but the ending made me scratch my head. I'm hoping to have that cleared up when I finish the book.

(Elizabeth M. Nosal) #100

Okay, this is a great thread and also terrible because my "Books I'm Interested In" list is getting out of control.

In addition to Samuel Hawley, I'm reading The Hollow by Agatha Christie (really pretty literary and sophisticated so far). When I told laundry later I'll be listening to Nick Hornby's Slam.

How was Lillian Boxfish, Jennifer?