#FridayReads

(Jennifer D.) #121

i still have this on my shelf, unread! wha-whaaaaa. (sad trombone.) :joy:

like you penny, i am also feeling like my brain is exploding with ALL THE BOOKS! i've had a really busy week, so haven't had time to make a plan for my reading... but i hope to do that over the next couple of days.

i definitely will be starting our Riffle book club's June read, americanah. this is a re-read for me, but i am looking forward to it.

as well, i have my in-person book club next friday, so have to get the monsters of templeton read.

because you have loved it so much, i really want to get to eleanor oliphant soon!!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #122

oh...Monsters of Templeton was such a great read for me! I really do hope it's a great read for you too!

I too will be reading the first scheduled part for Americanah - I started it and was really enjoying it - so I'll finish up to the first part in the schedule this weekend too! My Friday night is going to be one where I am on my own, alone, quiet and yahoo! Kids will be out of the house, hubbie is working an afternoon shift - so it's just ME. So I plan on setting myself up with a nice glass of wine, sitting out on my patio for the first time this week, and enjoying the total alone time with my books.
:slight_smile:
Now that's my kind of Friday night! :laughing:

(Jennifer D.) #123

Sounds awesome!!! ENJOY! :blush:

(Jennifer D.) #124

Oh, happy Friday!!!

I hope you are all doing very well this week.

What are you reading today? Are you planning on starting a new read this weekend? Do share with us -- this thread is a great way to add new books to our TBR lists.

From today's lovely illustration, I am wondering: where is the most unusual place you have ever read?

Illustration by Chris Silas Neal - who has done some book cover designs, including:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #125

That's cool to know about the illustrator/book designer!

I don't know if I've read in any unusual places, but I have had the experience of reading by the mountains when in Kananaskis, Alberta! Beautiful!! Peaceful!

I just started reading Ruth Ware's The Lying Game. It's supposed to be like her first one, In a dark, dark wood, which I really enjoyed!

I also just started in audio this morning, A Good House by Ann Leary and it's fantastic so far! Great person narrating and I've laughed out loud a number of times!

I'll also get back to Americanah to read up to the next section for the book club.

(Jennifer D.) #126

I also have Americanah on the go for our book club... come join us!!

And I am reading, for my in-person book club meeting tonight, The Monsters of Templeton, by Lauren Groff -- I am really enjoying this one, so far. Have to get the last bit read before the meeting. #NoPressure. :joy:

I don't know if I have read anywhere particularly unusual... though, as a bookish introvert I tend to always have a book/my kobo with me when I leave my house - in case of emergencies. Haha!! I have read while at parties or in bars/restaurants. And I was totally that kid who would read a book while walking.

(Jennifer D.) #127

Happy almost weekend!!

We would love to hear about your #FridayReads for this week -- which book(s) do you have on the go today? Any plans to start a new book this weekend?

It's been a bit of a steamy week here in Southern Ontario -- perfect weather for curling up with a great read, a cool beverage, and pressing pause on errands, and chores! :blush:

Do you have a favourite place to read when you get a nice bit of time to do so?

Image by Brendan Totten

Happy reading!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #128

Good morning Jennifer!
I've been trying this week to get in reading time, it's been a bit hectic so it's been scarce, but I did start The Practice House which so far has been pretty good, although I'm not very far into it at all. :slight_smile:

For the summer, my favourite reading spot is on the patio but if we're away, nothing beats sitting on a comfy chair overlooking the lake now does it? I haven't been able to do that in a couple years, but it's bliss when it does happen! :sailboat:

(Jennifer D.) #129

hi, @Penny_Kollar!!

this week has been hectic for me too. my reading time was pretty scarce as well, though i did finally finish the monsters of templeton, and really liked it! it went over well at my book club gathering too -- everyone was quite happy with the novel and they all want to read more from lauren groff. YAY!!

oh!! yes!! reading by water is so lovely. i am lucky to be able to visit my brother's cottage, and i love sitting out on the dock (under an umbrella, i am a shade-hound!) with a book, a nice drink, and snacks!! so perfect! when i am at home, i love sitting out in the shade of my front porch while reading. (also with snacks and drinks. heh!!)

i have to pick a new book to read this weekend... though it's going to be a busy weekend with work and other stuff, so i am not sure how much reading time i will actually manage. :confounded:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #130

I think reading isn't on the agenda for you this weekend! That's okay! Enjoy! Will be very interested in seeing what you choose next though!! :grinning:

(Jennifer D.) #131

i actually managed to read a good chunk of this, this morning... hope to get back to it tomorrow night, maybe?

:blush:

(Jennifer D.) #132

FRIDAY!!! :blush:

It's a very soggy day here in my area... the kind of day that just makes me want to stay home and read all day.

I hope you are all doing very well this week!

What are you reading?

(haven't been able to trace this image back to its original creator)

(Cheri) #133

Finished The Collapsing Empire a few minutes ago and already dreading the long, long wait for the sequel (2019). But the silver lining is that I'll need to reread the first one. :wink:

Not 100% sure what I'll start next. Thinking about The Collected Stories: The Legend of Drizzt. I'm a fan of a few of the narrators.

https://www.rifflebooks.com/books/915658

(Cheri) #134

Ok, changed my mind. Going with Thief's Magic instead.

(Jennifer D.) #135

i hope it will be a great read for you, @Cheri!!

(Cheri) #136

Nope, just didn't measure up after The Collapsing Empire. Went back to Legend of Drizzt, done by an all-star cast. Good so far!

(Jennifer D.) #137

Bummer!!! :confounded:

(Jennifer D.) #138

Happy Friday!!

Please let us know what you are reading today -- there's always room for more recommendations on our TBR lists, right?? :joy:

If you are celebrating Canada Day this weekend, and #Canada150, we hope you have a lovely holiday!, and enjoyed your long weekend.

As well as telling us about your #FridayReads, let us know if you have a favourite Canadian book (or two, or three??) . :blush:

Illustration by Julia Breckenreid

This guy, apparently, brought his TBR to the beach!

Happy reading everyone!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #139

Happy Friday!!

Yes, today is the holiday day for our Canada Day Holiday! Happy #Canada150! Poor planning as always on our part doesn't have us doing anything or going anywhere exciting to celebrate though. :frowning:

I just finished reading, last night One in a Million Boy - which was good, just a sweet story overall.

Today I will return to Deafening by Frances Itani. Ha! Perfection for Canada Day! She's a wonderful Canadian author - queen of a quiet and lovely read. I read Tell by her and fell in love with it.
There are many Canadian authors that I love. But if we want to go with maybe a comparison read to Tell - perhaps it might be The Age of Hope by David Bergen.

(Jennifer D.) #140

gosh, i love frances itani! i still have to read 'tell', but keep thinking i would like to re-read 'deafening' first.

my friday reads for this week is:

i am finding it delightful and peculiar, and oddly relatable in some ways. haha. i finally have a day off tomorrow, so hope to get in some good quality reading time, to finish this one.

as far as favourite canadian lit... SO MANY! :raised_hands:

i'll stop now! :joy: