#FridayReads

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #161

Hello!
I’m over half way done Small Hours. This hasn’t been too bad of a read - it takes place over the course of one day and it’s a married couple falling apart at the seams. One is living a double life, the other is becoming increasingly angry and unravelling. I’ve been warned the ending will upset me with how the author chose to end it, but so far I’m plugging along nicely with it.

The others I’ve picked up from the library are The Valentine House and The Pearl Thief. I’m looking forward to getting to both of these as soon as I finish Small Hours. I’ll probably start with The Valentine House first. :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #162

The Pearl Thief cover is pretty cool!! I hope your upcoming reads go really well, @Penny_Literary_Hoarders!

:blush:

(Jennifer D.) #163

i’ve been reading swell, by jill eisenstadt for a couple of days now… but i am kind of lukewarm about it, so far. it’s doing this odd mix of quirky/silly with an undercurrent of darkness that isn’t working too well for me. so i feel like this one is dragging a bit.

earlier this week, i finished reading the summer before the war – which was fabulous. so perhaps any book that follows a great read is in for a tricky time?? :joy:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #164

Yes! Serious book hangover after The Summer Before the War. It took me a little bit to get back into reading something that gave the same feeling after reading that one! I hope you find a new read that is another great one soon! :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #165

thanks, penny!! me too!! :blush:

(Jennifer D.) #166

women-on-the-beach-paintings

original painting, “serenity”, by myra roberts.

happy friday everyone!!

what are you reading today? i hope it’s something great!!

i hope you all have a fantastic day!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #167

Happy Friday! Today I get to read on the train! It’s one of my favourite things!

I received book mail and since it was Linden MacIntyre’s latest, I cleared all other books I was thinking of reading and will start on The Only Cafe (on the train! yay)

Our book club met last night and it was a hard decision choosing one of the three that we narrowed it down to. We’re going to be reading Our Little Racket

The other two that were in high favour: Stolen Beauty and The Yellow Eyes of Crocodiles

Hope you have a fantastic weekend @Jennifer_D and everyone else!!

(Jennifer D.) #168

ooh – enjoy your train time! AND the new linden macintyre – i just received this one too and it sounds great!

i really enjoyed katherine pancol’s novel and hope to get to the second in this series very soon. i included it as one of my #20BooksOfSummer! and apparently it’s women in translation month, so reading pancol now would be a good idea! :blush:

at the moment, i am reading this one. i have it in both hardcover and e-pub, but find the actual paper book is better as there are lots of letters, diary entries and postcards included and the formatting of the e-pub isn’t the best.

the hardcover edition i have is gorgeous!

(Jennifer D.) #169

happy friday!!

what are you reading today? i hope it’s something terrific!

lovely illustration, “summer stella”, by inslee fariss

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #170

Happy Friday!!

We’re a bit rainy today, which is making me wistful for being at home, under the blankets with a cup of tea and my book! :wink:

I just finished The Only Cafe by Linden MacIntyre. Sadly, it wasn’t a favourite of his for me, but today I’ll get started on this fairly chunky book, Our Little Racket. I’m really hoping this one is a great read for me! Please! :flushed:

I also started in audio this morning, In the Shadow of Alabama. It’s been good so far, but I’m not too sure how I’ll sustain the narrator’s voice. It’s okay, but I can sense a heavy smoker’s voice so I’m finding it a little distracting. :rofl:

(Jennifer D.) #171

Happy Friday everyone!!

How is your summer reading going, so far? Have you had any great reading moments during this whacky weather summer?

What are you reading today?

(Lovely image by Chantal Boissinot)

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #172

Happy Friday!

Last night I powered through and finished Our Little Racket. I did enjoy it, I just don’t think it needed to clock in at 500 pages? Impressive debut though! It will be interesting to see if something new comes out by her, I would read it!

So now, while I’m waiting for Our Greatest Hits to come in from the library (I put a hold on this one), I’ll get started on Six Degrees of Freedom. It sounds pretty quirky, so we’ll see how I take to it. :slight_smile: I’m also going to be finishing up (maybe today? It’s a pretty short book) Deer Life. This is something way outside my normal wheelhouse, so that one too will be interesting to see how I take to it too! :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #173

i’ve hemmed and hawed over this one. ron sexsmith is a cool musician, but i am just not sure about this book. i can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it, @Penny_Literary_Hoarders!!

(Jennifer D.) #174

i have this on the go this week… but (and i know you love this one, @Penny_Literary_Hoarders) it’s been dragging a bit for me. it feels a bit repetitive as they draw out the mystery. i do love grace and tilley, though!

and (hidden plot point behind ‘summary’ tag):

Summary

drainpipe jesus has just appeared which cracked me up!

(Cheri) #175

Whoo! Life has been insanely busy the past several weeks!

I’m about to finish Fevre Dream for the second time. Boy, I like this book a lot. The narrator is fantastic, too.

Once I’m done with that, I’ll get back to Troublemaker. Very much enjoying Leah Remini’s story and her voice (both writing and her narration).

(Jennifer D.) #176

so nice to see you, @Cheri!!

i’ve been curious about the remini book – i watched a bit of her series on scientology, and have read this book, which was scary-fascinating!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #177

It’s not my speed - and it’s unlikely it will earn a 5-star rating…but I’m continuing on. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #178

We were fascinated watching her show, even my kids are glued to the TV watching it-- I too am pretty interested in reading this book and I have a few other ones on my list to read - about Scientology.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #179

Ahhhh, bummer you aren’t feeling all the feels for this one @Jennifer_D! :slight_smile: I just loved how clever the sentences, play on words and Grace’s explanations were. I can agree that the mystery dragged out some - but well…you know…I loved it! :slight_smile:
I hope it gets a bit better for you.

We’re funny – we differ many times on the books we adore, but it never stands in our way! :slight_smile: Smooches!

(Jennifer D.) #180

this is very true – at moments, i have a giggle as grace and tilley remind me of child versions of rosencrantz and guildenstern (…are dead)… from the tom stoppard play/film adaptation. sort of. heh. the way the happen upon wisdom and insight.

SMOOCHES!!

:kissing_heart: