Introduce yourself! What's your favorite fiction book?

(Janelle Ludowise) #62

Hi @Hornette! Oh no, I've been called out! sweat_smile It's okay though because it helps me read things when people bother me about it, haha. grin

I actually have a friend of mine who also wants me to read The Bone Clocks...so next time I see her, I will have her bring her copy so I can borrow it. That's when I'll read it! (and don't worry, I see her pretty often.)

Thanks, Hornette!!

(Jorie) #63

I am so thrilled I inspired someone to pick up Rivington Street! I must admit, it's a hard read -- visually and gutting in places, but it is a tome on the origins of the women's movement towards greater workplace freedom and rights therein. I bought the sequel Union Square but I was unable to read it at the same time I had read the original. So many emotions were running through me, I simply needed to step away and re-attempt it in the future.

When you have the chance to read it, be sure to message me about your thoughts and how the book affected you. I'd love to have the chance to have a follow-up to this! smile Thankful we have the chance to interact in this way. You're quite keen on knowing these discussion boards are a springboard to communication and open sharing of our thoughts throughout literature but also how literature has a way of reflecting back the world.

*apologies for the delayed response this was originally unable to post and I've only just returnt!

(Kevin Gray) #64

My name is Kevin Gray and I live just across the river from Cincinnati, OH in the bluegrass state of Kentucky. My aunt Anita was a bibliophile with a taste for mysteries so my first real reading on my own was from this genre. I started out with the Hardy Boys but not one to be confined by gender lines, I also read Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden, then graduated to Agatha Christie. The book that really woke me up, though, and made me realize that a writer could speak directly to me was Another Country by James Baldwin. He was the author who switched my tastes from mysteries to literary fiction. Today my reading is composed mostly of literary fiction and non-fiction.

(K M Idamari) #65

Hi Guys,

I'm K, a novice writer and an avid reader. I got hooked to reading quite young. It was my grandma who made me fall in love with stories. She'd tell me tales from Indian myth at bedtime. My favourite genre is fantasy, no surprise there. And my favourite book this summer is Runemarks by Joanne Harris. It's based on Norse myth and follows the tale of Maddy, a teenaged girl who is actually the reincarnation of Modi, son of Thor. Yeah, it's kinda like that. Funny, fast, and Loki. Need I say more? smile

(Neil Baptista) #66

Hi Jennifer. Actually, 10% active is actually quite high. There's a bunch of statistical research that shows that on any large network (e.g. Youtube, Imgur) there's a participation rate of 1% of people creating content, then 9% responding and 90% 'lurking'. I think that perhaps the 'lurkers' just like to read conversations and find that form of media more appealing than other things. I'm a lurker on Reddit for instance. :smile:

Naturally, in smaller forums it's more intimate, so the rates of participation can go up. We hope to make that sort of engagement happen here.

Thank you for leading the conversations. That's why we love you all so much!! :rocket:

(BookBroad) #67

Hi all! I'm coming pretty late to this discussion, but I couldn't resist it!
I can't say there was any one book that really got me started reading. I have loved books for as long as I can remember. Our family was always reading. I still remember my father reading Are You My Mother, and The Monster at the End of This Book - complete with sound effects and Grover voice - when we were children. That being said, there are definitely some books that stand out more than others as the years have gone by. The Once and Future King by T.H. White really stuck with me. So did My Friend Flicka and The Black Stallion. As I got older, The Outsiders and Shakespeare, especially MacBeth at that point, and then The Hobbit became favorites. Now, I lean toward Doomsday Book by Connie WIllis and Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens. I loved Thud! by Terry Pratchett and for just a fun romance, anything by Jennifer Crusie, but especially Agnes and the Hitman.
I haven't really narrowed down to my "favorite" fiction book and I probably never will, but I'm okay with that :wink:

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #68

Hello:

I am Elizabeth and have been a Riffle fan for a few years. I never knew these discussion posts were here, though.

I enjoy Riffle because the format is easy to use, and the people are friendly.

I have a blog where I review books and have different weekly bookish memes. The reviews on my blog are also posted on Riffle and other reading sites.

A favorite book is difficult to name, but SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafon has been dubbed my favorite for a while so I will go with that book. I went to Barcelona after reading the book to find all the places mentioned in the book. Such fun.

Authors I like are Karen White, Pam Jenoff, Lucinda Riley, William Kent Krueger, and Dorothea Benton Frank.

I have found quite a few new authors this year. One author whose book I absolutely loved from this year was Stephen P. Kiernan’s book, THE BAKER’S SECRET.

Thanks for listening, and Happy Reading!!

Elizabeth

(David McCabe) #69

Hi All.
My name is David and I am new to this Riffle thing.

Not sure who I would class as my favourite author but I am currently infatuated with Hillary Mattel. I am on red alert for the final book in her wonderful (so far) Wolf Hall series.

My love affair with reading began with a bomb attack. I live in Northern Ireland, and a bomb attack had cut the power to my estate. My mum gave me a candle, I picked up an old copy of Dracula. I was 13 and my knowledge of Dracula at this point was limited to Christopher Lee and Hammer Horror films (I recommend this to anyone). I still remember the thrill of reading Dracula by candlelight, the scene when Harker witnesses the Count crawl head first down the castle walls still racks amongst my favourite.

Well that’s me.

David.

(Jade Lindsey) #70

Hi im jade l like reading my favirite genres are mysterys fantasys i like classic books and historical fiction. I love writing stories for fun im writing a book seires i want to publish my stories in the future

(CeDany ) #71

Well, hi all people that are currently here LOL!

I’m an Indie Author, newly self-published – unfortunately, there’s nothing much else I can do than tell you about my own books. Honestly, after all the years I’ve been doing this, if I don’t tell people about what I wrote, how on earth are you going to know about it hey?

So, here goes… I wrote a two novel – ten episodes (you call them novellas) series, called The WynderMyre Memoirs. Novel One is Trieste-Her Journey and contains four episodes. Novel Two is Love Through the Centuries! and contains six episodes.

It’s an epistolary novel of fiction, fantasy, romance, paranormal, diary-style about Vampires, Witches – the behind-the-scenes of The WynderMyre Family of Supernaturals.

Did you ever asked yourselves, where do these beings come from? What are they’re Origins?

Well, I wrote about that – it’s very clean reading classified for New Adult meaning 18+ yes there are sexual scenes – it’s not YA, but not Erotica either. Clean Reads mean no swears and no dirty words whatsoever. It’s entirely in British English and as it travels through many centuries, it does include loads of Old English – so, if the spelling is strange – check it, it’s literary acceptable words LOL!

Anyway, I could ramble on and on – yes, I write as much as I speak ehehe. Find me and all about my series here: http://mybooksjourney.weebly.com

And if you fancy watching videos try here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTfWzJuWMLtlu3bePMJyY-g

If you check the pages on my website, you’ll find out about me, my short stories, my B+ Blood Blog etc etc. Go check it out, like, subscribe and comment. Thanks for reading all of this…

Yours in blood, CeDany, BB, V-V!

(BookBroad) #72

Hello all! David_McCabe, I love that story! And I have to agree with you about the Dracula scene. I honestly can’t pin down one favorite book. “Favorite” is a fairly fluid word for me when it comes to books. My current list of faves includes A Man Called Ove, To Say Nothing of the Dog, The Once and Future King, Night Watch, A Cat Among the Pigeons, and Agnes and the Hitman.

(Brendan Schlagel) #73

Hey, I’m Brendan, I live in Brooklyn, try to read a lot, enjoy obsessing over my “antilibrary” and browsing used bookstores.

The last few years my girlfriend and I have started a tradition of reading a long book together each year. We try to pick something that’s a classic, and kind of challenging but also fun. Some of these have quickly made their way to my all time favorites list! Here are my brief reviews of a few of them…

Moby Dick (Herman Melville)
I didn’t know what to expect when I picked this one up. I knew it was about whaling and would be…maybe thick and florid and ponderous? And, I mean, in some ways it is those things, but also way different than I anticipated — it’s surprisingly hilarious and poetic and bowls you over with the audacious power of its prose, and even the so-called boring parts are a joy to read even as they’re at times a slog to get through. It’s filled with chapter upon chapter of strange and alchemical literary splendor, and boundless insights on human nature (and nature nature). This is one of those classics that probably not enough people actually read, largely due to misconceptions of intimidation or irrelevance, but that actually transcend the hype.

Don Quixote (Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra)
Another classic that more than lives up to that label! Epic and hilarious, with some of the most fun characters and ridiculous escapades ever committed to the page, Don Quixote almost defies description. It’s super long, and sometimes repetitive, but never boring. And it contains a surprising degree of metafiction and other things that elicit readerly joy.

Infinite Jest (David Foster Wallace)
This book is a journey, a worthwhile investment. I expect it’s a perfectly normal reading experience to be relentlessly confused throughout the course of the first two or three hundred pages, and then, over the remaining 800-some pages and hundreds of footnotes, gradually fall deeper in love with DFW’s characters and writing style and largesse of empathy and hysterical capacity for observation and cultural critique. It does have a plot — really several that loosely play off one another until finally intersecting late into the story — but it’s about much more than the putative story — it’s about the dazzling weirdness of people, the natures of entertainment and addiction, and the endless struggle to strain meaning out of the absurdity of life. It’s both heartbreaking and hilarious and I’m glad I finally put in the time to make it through.

(Steph L) #74

Hello! I’m Steph and I’m a book blogger that sometimes posts reviews. I am a writer of original stories, and fan Fiction. I am also very big in theatre. The book that changed by view on reading was Jane Eyre. I read mostly Young Adult and Classics.

(sh m) #75

Hello! I have read probably less than 5 fiction but I’d like to share regardless! Since I’ve read so little fiction, I could easily narrow them down to two:

1. Orphanage 41 by Victor Malarek
  2. People’s Republic of Desire by Annie Wang

Victor Malarek is one of my favourite authors. When he published this work of fiction, I decided to give it a try. As for the book by Annie Wang, although it’s fiction, I really don’t think it is. I’ve lived in China for a decade to know it isn’t.

Happy reading!

(BookBroad) #76

Jane Eyre is often the only Charlotte Bronte most people read. Have you read Villette? If you enjoyed Jane and haven’t read Villette yet, I would recommend it.