May 2017 - The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley, by Hannah Tinti

twelvelives
hannahtinti
bookclub

(Jennifer D.) #1

Welcome to our very first Riffle Book Club discussion!!

The first book we have chosen for the Riffle Book Club is:

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley, by Hannah Tiinti.

The discussion for this hot new release will begin on May 1st. The discussion is open to everyone, and will last through the month of May.

Each week, I will post new questions to help along with the conversation. But do know my questions or prompts are not to act in any restrictive way -- everyone is free to comment or ask questions at any time. In fact, the more people who actively participate, the better the Book Club will be for all participants. :blush:

We hope the read and conversation will be very interesting, and that you will be keen to join in with us.

If you have any questions at all, please ask!!

Added 24 April 2017:

Here is the reading schedule for the novel:

May 1st - 6th: Chapters "Hawley" though end of "Dogtown"
(HC: pgs 1-81; PB pgs 1-103)
May 7th - 13th: Chapters "Bullet #3" through end of "Weathervanes"
(HC pgs 82-162; PB pgs 104-205)
May 14th - 20th: Chapters "Bullet #5" through end of "Fireworks"
(HC pgs 163-241; PB pgs 206-307)
May 21st - 27th: Chapters "Seven, Eight, Nine" through end of "The Cooler"
(HC pgs 242-311; PB pgs 308-396)
May 28th - 31st: Chapters "Bullet #11" through to end of "Loo"
(HV pgs 312-372; PB pgs 397-475)

Each Sunday during May, I will post a brief summary of the read, discussion points, and questions -- please know these are only offered to help prompt conversation. I hope none of you will feel limited by this commentary in any way -- and that you will offer up your own questions and comments as you have them!! You certainly do not have to wait until Sundays to add your thoughts or comments. As this is the first time we are running a book club, we are completely open to input and feedback about the process. We hope this will be a fun and engaging experience for everyone who participates.

I would like to request that we all be respectful of spoiler information. If you would like to discuss and aspect of the novel that is beyond the schedule, please use the "hide details" function. If you click on the wheel icon in the formatting bar, you should see this option. It will cause any selected portion of a comment to look like this:

Summary

nothing to see here, just testing!

One tip: in order for the 'hide details' to work properly, the text you wish to protect should be on its own line and not within other text.

I am so excited about reading this as our first book club book, and I can't wait for this to get underway.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Happy reading!! :blush:

Currently Reading (Fiction)
#FridayReads
September 2017 - The Last Neanderthal, by Claire Cameron
September 2017 - The Last Neanderthal, by Claire Cameron
(Jennifer D.) #2

Was this novel already on your radar??

I am so looking forward to this book!

Will you be joining in with us for the read and discussion?? I hope so. :blush:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #3

I'm looking forward to it Jennifer!
I've seen this book, have heard many great things about it, so looking forward to the book club discussion!

(Jennifer D.) #4

Awesome!!! I am just waiting for my copy to arrive from the Book Depository UK - they have free worldwide delivery, and it was a good deal. Funnily, my local bookstores didn't have it in stock and would have to order it. The copy I am receiving is a UK trade paperback edition, so not quite exactly as shown in the link above.

I feel like there will be a number of meaty ideas for us to dig into and chat about in Tinti's book.

(Janine Tabor) #5

I hadn't heard of it before this discussion came up. I've got a Kindle sample and will try to read it today, though the book is rather pricey for Kindle. Any idea if they might do a price drop in honour of the book club discussion?

(Jennifer D.) #6

Hi @Janine_Tabor. Unfortunately, no. I found the best price was through Book Depository (around $20 Canadian, for a trade paperback; free worldwide delivery). Since I will be moderating the book club and making notes, a library borrow wouldn't work for me this time. Did you check with your library system?

(Janine Tabor) #7

My library sucks. They keep very little of value and have no budget for ordering in.

(Jennifer D.) #8

well, that sounds terrible. i am sorry to hear that! :disappointed:

(Kate Minckler) #9

Ok, I've ordered it from my library!! It was not on my radar - I am clueless about new releases since our little guy was born. Let's hope he gives me time to read it :wink:

So excited for the book club!

(Jennifer D.) #10

I am so excited you are going to try and join in with us, @Kate_Minckler!! YAY! :relaxed:

(Jennifer D.) #11

just received notice that my delivery is on its way. i hope to have the book in my hands by the end of the week, and will update the first post in this thread to include the reading schedule.

(BookBroad) #12

I've just received my copy. I can't wait to get started on it! :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #13

Awesome!! i am so happy to know your copy arrived in good time.

I am still waiting on my copy, but will post the reading schedule as soon as i have my copy in my hands. the reading will be broken down over the whole month of may.

i keep hearing such good things about this book -- i really think we will have a lot of talk about with it!!

(Jennifer D.) #14

WOOT!

my copy of the book arrived just now - it's lovely! though my edition is from the UK, the chapters will be the same in all editions. i am going to work on the reading schedule and post it soon. can't wait to get going with this on may 1st!!

:blush:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #15

I have my copy now, all ready to go for May 1st! Looking forward to it!

(Jennifer D.) #16

I have now added in the schedule -- up in post #1. i thought it best to anchor it there as it is easy to refer back to the first comment in a thread, rather than trying to find it buried in chat. :blush:

I have also explained the process a little bit, and talked about spoilers -- so I hope you will reach out if you have any questions or comments.

Here's the schedule:

May 1st - 6th: Chapters "Hawley" though end of "Dogtown"
(HC: pgs 1-81; PB pgs 1-103)
May 7th - 13th: Chapters "Bullet #3" through end of "Weathervanes"
(HC pgs 82-162; PB pgs 104-205)
May 14th - 20th: Chapters "Bullet #5" through end of "Fireworks"
(HC pgs 163-241; PB pgs 206-307)
May 21st - 27th: Chapters "Seven, Eight, Nine" through end of "The Cooler"
(HC pgs 242-311; PB pgs 308-396)
May 28th - 31st: Chapters "Bullet #11" through to end of "Loo"
(HV pgs 312-372; PB pgs 397-475)

And here's the link to jump you back to the top of this thread:

(Jane D) #17

Hi Jennifer,

I am so excited with the beginning of book discussions here on Riffle! Thanks so much for organizing this read.

This book was not on my radar at all and all the copies in my community library are checked out with "holds". However, I lucked out at a neighbouring library system as they had one copy on the shelf! I just walked in and there it was waiting for me. Yippee!! So I am ready to go!

(Jennifer D.) #18

@Jane_Dixon!! i am so excited you found a copy in a neighbouring library system. woot!! i am very happy you will be joining us on our first book club read. i hope it will be a lot of fun for us all. :blush:

(Kim@Time2Read) #19

Thanks for posting the schedule. I have my copy and am ready to read!

(Jennifer D.) #20

Excellent - so glad you'll be joining us, Kim!! :blush: