May 2017 - The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley, by Hannah Tinti

bookclub
twelvelives
hannahtinti

(Kate Minckler) #41

Hi! I'm a little behind jumping in here, but I'm so excited about the Book Club :smiley:

This book was 100% not on my radar. 4 months ago I knew all the latest books coming out, then I had a baby and that went out of the window, ha ha!

I'm diving in without even having read the jacket description so have no expectations, and I haven't read Tinti's last book either so not even sure about her style. As I mentioned in my last post, I have the ARE and I just now glanced at the letter from the editor at the front which says the publishers weren't prepared for the "sheer mythic power" of the story - so now I'm intrigued!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #42

I will do that - will find a way to share the picture! (Assuming it's just hitting that upload button?)

(Jennifer D.) #43

Yep!! Just use the upload button and we can all see how pretty it is! :slight_smile:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #44

Apologies if these are coming in upside down and all around??
One is the front of the hardcover, and the other is the back. It wraps all around the book. So lovely!!
The zodiac signs and cherubs/cupids on the outside.

Does anyone know what "Rium Stel Reale Qvum" and "Hemisphae Latum Bo Anti" means? (You can see those on the edges of the book)

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #45

Now I googled my own question and this came up in Pinterest: (so this is exactly what is on the hardcover of the book)
Hamispha Latum Bo Anti: Rium Stele Reale Qvum, from Harmonia Macrocosmica, by AndreΒ΅ Cellarius. Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1661

(Kate Minckler) #46

Wow! I love it. It really does add to my interest in the book!

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #47

Well...it certainly is going to be interesting if this is explored in any way in the book!!

(Jennifer D.) #48

Thank you for sharing those, @Penny_Kollar!! gorgeous!!
And thanks for the Googling! Curiouser and curiouser as we dig further into the story!!

(Kim@Time2Read) #49

That's a great idea, Penny! The epigraph will be a great topic for our last week of discussion when we've finished the book!

(Kim@Time2Read) #50

I just finished this week's reading. I'm still not sure what to expect, but it certainly is getting interesting!

(Jennifer D.) #51

Isn't it?? I feel the same way, @Kim!! :blush:

(Becky LeJeune) #52

I have to say that this one was on my radar and I have heard good things about it, but I honestly had no idea what it was about and so had no expectations going in. I'm excited this is the inaugural titles and am looking forward to getting into it!

(Jennifer D.) #53

So great to have you join us, Becky!! :blush:

(Sararuna) #54

Hello, this is my first experience with Riffle. This morning 'The Twelve LIves of Samuel Hawley' appeared in my elibrary checkout list, then I noticed a Riffle email about this group. I'll be reading today to catch up and join in the discussion.

(karenbrissette) #55

man, i have already read the book as an ARC, and now i am SO JEALOUS of how pretty all that art is in the hardcover. looks like i'm going to have to go buy myself a copy. which i would not do for just any old book, but this one is soooo good, it will be worth it. i am excited to follow along to see if other people like this as much as i do!

(Kate Minckler) #56

Welcome!! So great to have you joining us. :smiley:

If you have any general Riffle questions, feel free to message me or @Jennifer_D.

(Jennifer D.) #57

Welcome, Sararuna!! I am so glad you have joined us here at Riffle, and are keen to take part in our very first book club discussion!! We are happy to have you here. :blush:

(Jennifer D.) #58

i had to smile at your comment, Karen! I bought a copy -- but mine is a different edition and doesn't have the lovely illustration either - and I momentarily debated buying a second copy. I am excited to hear that you really liked this book - I am definitely intrigued with the story and by the characters in this first section of reading.

(Jennifer D.) #59

General 'out of curiosity' questions here...

• When you read, do you normally just read straight through until you are done, and focus only on one book at a time?
  • Or, do you read more than one book at a time?
  • Is it hard for you to pause your reading, and read to a schedule?
  • Have you participated in online book clubs before? How was the experience?

I love learning about people's reading preferences, and their book club experiences! I hope you don't mind me asking about these things!!

:blush:

(Jennifer D.) #60

I will reply to my own questions, to get us rolling.... heh!!

• Normally, I do only read one book at a time, and read it right through. For a 400page book, that would usually be between 2 and 4 days for me.
  • I have read more than one book at a time, and do manage it fine... though 3 is my limit. But I find when I do this it takes away from my experiences with each book as my focus is spread out.
  • I do find it very hard to read to a schedule and pause... I usually end up reading right through.
  • Yes, I have participated in online book clubs before, with mixed experiences. Some have been excellent, and some have been very frustrating.