October 2017 - The History of Bees, by Maja Lunde

bookclub

(Jennifer D.) #1

I am very happy to share with you the selection for our October Book Club:

The History of Bees, by Maja Lunde

The reading and discussion will kick off on October 1st – we hope you will join us for a month of great conversation!

Each week, I will post new questions to help along with our discussions. But please know my questions or prompts are not to act in any restrictive way – everyone is free to comment or ask questions at any time. In fact, the more people who actively participate, the better the book club will be for all participants. :blush:

Reading Schedule

This may seem a bit tricky, the breakdown – the chapters rotate between 3 characters: Tao, William, and George. Every chapter has one of these names as its title.

I have broken down the reading by page numbers, based on edition ISBN: 9781501175732

01 - 07 October: chapters ‘Tao’, through ‘Tao’ - pages 1 through 85
08 - 14 October: chapters ‘George’, through ‘William’ - pages 86 through 168
15 - 21 October: chapters ‘Tao’, through ‘William’ - pages 169 through 252
22 - 28 October: chapters ‘George’, through ‘Tao’ - pages 253 through 337 (end)

I would like to request that we all be respectful of spoiler information. If you would like to discuss any aspect of the novel that is beyond the schedule, please use the “hide details” function. If you click on the wheel icon in the formatting bar, you should see this option. It will cause any selected portion of a comment to look like this:

Summary

nothing to see here, just testing. :slight_smile:

One tip: in order for the ‘hide details’ to work properly, the text you wish to protect should be on its own line and not within other text.

We hope you will be keen to join in with us as we read The History of Bees

If you have any questions at all, please ask!!

:slight_smile:

#FridayReads
(Jennifer D.) #2

the cover design of this book is GORGEOUS!!! i have the trade paperback edition, ISBN 9781501175732 which is the Touchstone export edition, August 2017.

the designers are Kai & Sunny… who have done a number of commissions for book covers.

http://www.kaiandsunny.com/new/publishing/publishing.php

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #3

Excited to read this one. It sounds like it will have plenty to appeal to varied genre readers!

The cover for the Norwegian cover is really neat too - spare yet powerful. (Riffle doesn’t show this edition in its catalog so I just pasted it in from Goodreads. Sorry!)

(Jennifer D.) #4

i am hoping this is the case, that the novel will appeal to a broad part of our membership! i love that it’s a work in translation too!

(Kim@Time2Read) #5

I’ve been seeing this one around a lot and had considered suggesting it to my IRL bookclub, but I don’t think they’d be interested. I’ll hunt down a copy so I have it for next month!

(Jennifer D.) #6

awesome!!

i feel like this could be a good ‘bridge’ book between literary fiction and more genre-y stuff – for people who don’t really read a lot of scifi/dystopia, this could work nicely. and it feels like one that will have a lot of stuff to talk about --i hope that’s the case anyway. i love that it’s a work in translation – i always aim to read more books in translation each year.

so happy you will be joining us, @Kim!

:slight_smile:

(Jane D) #7

Oh, I have been eyeing this book ever since I saw the lovely cover. I LOVE bees. I do as much as I can to keep them around my garden. Very excited this has been selected for the October read!!!

(Jennifer D.) #8

me too!!! we are very bee-aware over here and try to help in our yard too.

i love your reaction to the october book club choice! yay!! :smiley:

(Susan Beamon) #9

I will have the book shortly.

(Jennifer D.) #10

Excellent!! So happy you’ll be joining us, @Susan_Beamon! :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #11

i have added in the reading schedule to post #1 in this thread, for easy access.

reading schedule

This may seem a bit tricky, the breakdown – the chapters rotate between 3 characters: Tao, William, and George. Every chapter has one of these names as its title.

I have broken down the reading by page numbers, based on edition ISBN: 9781501175732

01 - 07 October: chapters ‘Tao’, through ‘Tao’ - pages 1 through 85
08 - 14 October: chapters ‘George’, through ‘William’ - pages 86 through 168
15 - 21 October: chapters ‘Tao’, through ‘William’ - pages 169 through 252
22 - 28 October: chapters ‘George’, through ‘Tao’ - pages 253 through 337 (end)

(Jennifer D.) #12

still SO in love with this cover design. i think it’s my favourite one for 2017.

do you all pay a lot of attention to cover designs? :slight_smile:

(thereadingowlvina) #13

Just placed a hold from my library. Can’t wait to start! :grinning:

(Kim@Time2Read) #14

do you all pay a lot of attention to cover designs

Absolutely! I know I’m not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but a great cover will definitely cause me to take a look!

(Sue Dix) #15

I am looking forward to joining in the discussion.

(Jennifer D.) #16

Same!! :smiley: I always find it sad when a great book isn’t supported by an amazing cover design. And beautiful designs always catch my eye while browsing too!

(Jennifer D.) #17

Wonderful to hear, @Sue_Dix! So glad you’ll be able to join us in October! :smiley:

(Gwen Stackler) #18

I plan to grab the book on Saturday at the Library.

(Jennifer D.) #19

Excellent! Happy to have you join us for this one, @Gwen_Stackler! :slight_smile:

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #20

I bought the book last night!