Quitting on a Read

(Teresa Danner Kander) #21

I have a 10% rule...if I'm that far in, and not hooked yet, then I give up--unless it's a book that I know gets better past that point.

(Anna Maria G.) #22

In the past, I'd force myself to finish every book I started, because I thought that if I didn't finish it then I couldn't have an opinion about it. Now things changed, if I really can't get into a book then I'll just quit it. There are so many great books out there and so little time to read them, so why waste time in something I don't enjoy?

(JIVANA) #23

That's a healthy attitude I think :wink:

(jaye marie) #24

It is risky to abandon a book, simply because it hasn't rung any bells, but... and this is a big but, we read for enjoyment, not out of any sense of duty.
It is bad enough when you are reviewing a book that doesn't get going quickly enough, but for my own personal reading pleasure, that's exactly what I want, pleasure.

(SERIESous Book Reviews) #25

A little late to the discussion but I wanted to add my take.

Usually I have a 50 page rule--if I'm not enjoying the novel and don't really care what happens after the 50th page, I DNF it. But I rarely follow through because something happens in the novel that keeps my interest. But if I can't tolerate the lead character, I probably drop the book faster.

One of things I have been working on this year is DNFing books that I really don't enjoy. Whether it is a review copy or one I have picked up for leisure, I don't want to read a book I'm not enjoying simply for the satisfaction of "finishing" another book.

(Sahara Foley) #26

I've always done it to some degree since I started reading. I remember I tried reading Floating Dragon by Peter Straub when I was in high school. Just could not get into it. But it sat on my book shelf, and when I was in my thirties I started it again I understood the concept. Still really strange and out of the world, but that was Peter's writing. Now, I just don't have the time to waste on a book that doesn't grab me within the first half of the book. Especially with ebook. There are just too many books to read,

(JoeMD) #27

I'm very much in the camp of "there are too many good books to waste time on a bad one." Generally, if I get to page 100 and I'm not really enjoying a book I'll stop reading it. In some instances I might go a bit longer ~ usually this depends on the length of the book ~ But that's my rule of thumb.

(Jorie) #28

I am very happy to see a topic like this generating, as this is why I felt inspired to create my List entitled: Stories Seeking Love from Readers! It's been housed here on Riffle for over a year -- reason being!? There are some books I meet as a book blogger which simply did not appeal to me as much as I hoped they might have when I requested them.

I wanted to find a way to continue the conversation - I felt the best route was to create a list of stories that simply did not sit well with me, but perhaps would appeal to other readers!? I took it a step further by adding the link to my Story Vault of Reviews, so that Rifflers & others who find this list (as I do promote it via my blog & Twitter) would see why I didn't enjoy the story. Perhaps what did not work for me, would work for someone else!? I'm all about helping readers find stories but sometimes, we have to be honest with ourselves about realising -- not every story is going to be one of our most beloved reads.

Outside of reviewing books, I am not listing the stories I meet through my local library and/or are on my personal library shelves; I strictly limited this list as an outreach as a book blogger who was hoping readers might visit me one day - even leaving me a comment on one of the stories, that differs with my own reactions - not only moving the conversation forward, but letting me know how their impression was different from my own. I love healthy conversations on my blog, in other words! :wink:

IF we could have the option to mark those stories "Unfinished" that would be brilliant!

(Christa Guild) #29

I like the idea of being able to mark a story "unfinished" and maybe give some indication of why it wasn't for you. Great list, by the way!

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #30

I used to ALWAYS finish a book whether or not I was enjoying it.

I don’t follow that any longer,

If the book hasn’t caught my interest by Page 100 - sometimes Page 50, I stop. Not worth taking the time when there are so many good books out there.

This is a RARE occasion these days because I am very picky with what I choose to read and usually have chosen books I know I will like.

Elizabeth

(Kim@Time2Read) #31

If the book hasn’t caught my interest by Page 100 - sometimes Page 50, I stop. Not worth taking the time when there are so many good books out there.

I do the same. I read about 100 pages, or 25-30% of the book. If it hasn’t grabbed me by then, unless there are extenuating circumstances (I’m reading it for my book club, or I have committed to writing a review), I set it aside and pick up something else.

Sometimes, if it is one that I really expected to like because of reviews or previous experience with the author, I will pick it up again a few months later. I’ve had mixed success with this. Occassionally I will pick it up and devour it the 2nd time around, but just as often, I seem to cast it aside again after the first 100 pages.

(Jennifer D.) #32

okay – for those of you who will move along to a different book if a read hasn’t caught your attention strongly enough by 50, or 100 pages… or whatever your barometer is, do you ever think back to those books you stopped reading, wondering if it would have turned around for you??

i stubbornly carry on with books when i am not enjoying them, because i hold out hope that the turning point will be on the next page, or the next page, or the next page… heh!

:smiley:

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #33

Exactly my thoughts too. You think you will like it because of all the hype, but find out it just wasn’t for you.

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #34

I used to finish EVERY book, but don’t do that any more.

50 to 100 pages is my limit. No…I have never gone back and thought about them even though I keep seeing good reviews for the book. I am a pretty good judge of what I want to read and what I want to stop reading. :slight_smile:

(Kim@Time2Read) #35

Not really. If I put a book aside thinking I’ll try it again later, maybe…especially if a reviewer I trust to have similar tastes mentions she had trouble connecting with the book but is happy she stuck with it. But once I’ve truly written a book off, I’m done with it. There are too many other books out there calling my name for me to spend a lot of time trying to build a relationship with a book that isn’t working for me.

(Penny / Literary Hoarders ) #36

Lately I’ve been more open to DNFing a book - I think this year has been a record-year for not finishing, sadly. Most of the time I will skim through, skip pages or chunks of pages and see if it improves…but for some, if I’m really not feeling it I’ll just mark it as DNF and move on.

I don’t think I have ever returned to a book I haven’t finished. Too many other ones pop up and those ones move into completely forgotten about territory.

(BookBroad) #37

I always had a hard time not finishing a book once I’d started. I find it a little easier now, though I still find myself slogging through sometimes. Someone once compared it to entering a contract. When you begin a book, you are entering an unwritten contract with the author to read and judge their work. If you DNF, you are not upholding your end of the contract. A few years ago, it occurred to me that, if the book was not holding my interest or living up to its blurb/hype/etc., then the author was not upholding their end of the contract and I was free to walk away. That thought suddenly made it easier for me to DNF a book I was really forcing myself to read. It was quite freeing in a way :slight_smile:

(Jennifer D.) #38

I have never thought about it that way before. It’s interesting to consider… :slight_smile:

(Kim@Time2Read) #39

That is an interesting concept, and a good one to remember! I also like to think that there is a reader for every book, and just because it is not for me, doesn’t mean it is a bad book, but just a book that wasn’t written for me. That’s why when I review a book, I try to include what I didn’t like about the book, or what it was that caused me to put it aside. I hope no one ever avoids a book because I didn’t like it. I’m not a big fan of memoirs, but a lot of people are. If I put down a fiction book because it ‘reads like a memoir’, I want to say so, because their are plenty of readers that will appreciate the book because it DOES read like a memoir!

(Jennifer D.) #40

i feel this way quite often if a book hasn’t been one i enjoyed. i can often appreciate things about most books i choose, even if i don’t end up loving them. they will work wonderfully for another reader! :slight_smile: