No problem!!! Here's the list I presented for her:
1) Miss Jane, by Brad Watson.
2) The God of Animals, by Aryn Kyle.
3) Southern Cross the Dog, by Bill Cheng.
4) Above the Waterfall, by Ron Rash.
5) Swamplandia, by Karen Russell.
6) Suttree, by Cormac McCarthy.
7) The Shore, by Sara Taylor.
8) You & Me, by Padgett Powell.
9) The Gates of Evangeline, by Hester Young.
10) A Good Hard Look, by Ann Napolitano.
The next four suggestions are actually Canadian - but we have our own version of gothic here called Southern Ontario Gothic, so I thought I would offer a few up for your consideration:
11) The Winter Family, by Clifford Jackman.
12) The Girls, by Lori Lansens.
13) The Deptford Trilogy, by Robertson Davies.
14) Headhunter, by Timothy Findley.
And, finally, a great non-fiction work that reads as excellent fiction:
15) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt.
(Normally I don't recommend quite so many recommendations, but I (obviously) struggled over cutting some great books from the list. Heh!! Save for McCarthy, I didn't go too heavy with the more well-know Southern Gothic writers... if someone is asking for this, I am guessing they are well versed in, say, Flannery O'Connor (who I ADORE!), Carson McCullers, William Faulkner, etc...)