RA experts, say hello!

(karenbrissette) #21

oh, jennifer! i'm so sorry to hear about your injury! but i'm so glad you're healing and well enough to participate in this because i think you're going to be great at it. ALSO - i am so jealous that you snagged that southern gothic one! i saw it last night, but i was too weary to put in more than a couple of hours on this last night, and i was going to grab it this morning. what did you suggest to them?? only because i am also a fan and i would like some suggestions myself!

i wish we could check out the responses other people have answered. i think that would be helpful if we get similar requests in the future that might be out of our own reading comfort zone. koff urban fantasy koff

(Jennifer D.) #22

hahaha -- i have to laugh because i was so excited about the southern gothic request too, was too haggard after work last night so left it for today. then i claimed it and got called into work. i am just about to start on it now, but i did message the user that i would be getting back to them and had it in progress, while asking if they wanted to add anything more about what they were hoping to get out of the RA experience. There was really no other info in the questionnaire. though she does have some stuff shelved on her Riffle profile, so going to snoop that now. :slight_smile:

I have asked for the ability to see the recommendations RAs have given to the users they have helped. I think it would add nicely to the database and our experiences.

(karenbrissette) #23

ooh, well let me know what you end up suggesting - i may want to glom onto your list for my own purposes!

(Jennifer D.) #24

No problem!!! Here's the list I presented for her:

1) Miss Jane, by Brad Watson.
2) The God of Animals, by Aryn Kyle.
3) Southern Cross the Dog, by Bill Cheng.
4) Above the Waterfall, by Ron Rash.
5) Swamplandia, by Karen Russell.
6) Suttree, by Cormac McCarthy.
7) The Shore, by Sara Taylor.
8) You & Me, by Padgett Powell.
9) The Gates of Evangeline, by Hester Young.
10) A Good Hard Look, by Ann Napolitano.

The next four suggestions are actually Canadian - but we have our own version of gothic here called Southern Ontario Gothic, so I thought I would offer a few up for your consideration:
11) The Winter Family, by Clifford Jackman.
12) The Girls, by Lori Lansens.
13) The Deptford Trilogy, by Robertson Davies.
14) Headhunter, by Timothy Findley.

And, finally, a great non-fiction work that reads as excellent fiction:
15) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt.

(Normally I don't recommend quite so many recommendations, but I (obviously) struggled over cutting some great books from the list. Heh!! :blush: Save for McCarthy, I didn't go too heavy with the more well-know Southern Gothic writers... if someone is asking for this, I am guessing they are well versed in, say, Flannery O'Connor (who I ADORE!), Carson McCullers, William Faulkner, etc...)

(karenbrissette) #25

ooh, good list! i've read a bunch of these, but the rest may make their way onto my "to-read" list - thanks!

(Jennifer D.) #26

I particularly adored the Ann Napolitano novel, if you haven't read that one already! :slight_smile:

(Maria Miller) #27

Hi everybody! I'm new to this group and new to Riffle! I love to read. My favorite genres are thrillers, chick lit, and young adult, but I've surprised myself. I enjoy anything with a strong main character. I'm also an indie author. I've written chick lit, young adult, and a historical thriller. (I use the term thriller lightly.) I'm a reviewer, too. I hope to get to know everybody!

(Jennifer D.) #28

Welcome, Maria! Hope you enjoy your time here at Riffle, and in our discussion community!