Reading the same book many times

(Cheri) #1

I've got several books that I tend to read at least once a year, usually when I'm feeling down and want to feel like I'm spending time with old friends. Do you have books like that? I know that some people don't re-read books but, for me, it's comforting.

(Melanie Kiser) #2

I have several also that I pick up whenever the mood strikes me ... The Witch of Blackbird Pond (YA), The Mummy (Anne Rice), To Kill a Mockingbird and Memoirs of a Geisha. An eclectic selection I know!
What are yours?

(Cheri) #3

Mine are all romance novels with varying levels of angst. I'm usually depressed and really need that happily ever after. Or romantic comedies. But usually angsty love stories. When I'm not reading those, I'm big on mysteries/thrillers/horror but those aren't as much fun to reread, I think. At least not for me...

(Teresa Danner Kander) #4

Wuthering Heights, Gone With The Wind, The Shack, and Bridges of Madison County.

(Shelf-employed) #5

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy are my go-to re-reads.

(Cheri) #6

I've read The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring with my son recently. We'll be continuing on soon. It was our second reading of The Hobbit. I'm guessing it may be one of his go-to re-reads as he gets older.

(Lynette) #7

I always take Allen Drury's Advise and Consent (or another from the series) with me when I travel. I've also been known to re-read some Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series when I need a good laugh. The early numbers are laugh-out-loud funny.

(Justin Robinson) #8

I've reread The Hobbit plenty of times, also most of the Dresden Files series at least 3 times each, and I'm planning to re-read The Count Of Monte Cristo and The Fountainhead soon :slight_smile:

I've also gone over The Good Fight so many times while I was writing it that it feels like I've read it fifty times, if that counts :stuck_out_tongue:

(Cheri) #9

I'm a latecomer to the Dresden Files. Just about to start the third book. I understand they only get better from there.

(Justin Robinson) #10

Oh yeah, they get way better! I got introduced to it with Dead Beat, which I think is 6 or 7 (Butcher has said in interviews that he specifically wrote Dead Beat so it could bring new readers up to speed quickly) and been hooked ever since :smiley:

(Joelle C Rider) #11

I do the same thing throughout the year especially J.R. wards Black Dagger Series as well as Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series. Among several other titles especially the ones that make you cry or make you laugh so much that you need that pick up that day and still manage to read hundreds of books a year where I find new authors to love.

(BookBroad) #12

There are several book sI will re-read. I often have a book on my bedside table that is a re-read (mainly because that way, I can go to sleep without worrying about "what happens next?"). Some that I like to re-read are Agnes and the Hitman, Bellwether, To Say Nothing of the Dog, a Poirot or Miss Marple, A Walk in the Woods...

(Janine Tabor) #13

I like my Fantasy books and will re-read those that take me back to favorite worlds. Funny enough I've only read The Lord of the Rings twice. I find myself lured back to Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover, Jaq D. Hawkins' Goblin world and Roger Zelazny's Amber. Also McCaffrey's Pern and more recently the alternative history world of Novik's Temerierre series.

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #14

I do not re-read books.

Too many good books out there to enjoy the first time. :slight_smile: