Really Good Books That We All Need To Read

fiction
2017fiction
booklists

(Amazingpixie) #1

Is there any book you have read and really enjoyed? Well come chat so we can all talk and share what we think about the books. Who cares what books they are you love them we share them.

(David Abrams) #2

I just finished reading "Hourglass" by Dani Shapiro this morning and I plan on being an evangelist for this memoir about marriage and how we sort through the scraps of our lives to make stories. "Hourglass" comes out next month and I can't wait for the rest of the world to discover how great it is.

(Janine Tabor) #3

I could list a lot of them!

2 circus setting books have stood out recently:
Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen and
A Spark of Justice by J.D. Hawkins

Both of these were very enjoyable, though I'm glad animals can no longer be kept by circuses. The big cats play an amusing role in the send book.

(Jennifer D.) #4

I have had a lot of success recommending Galore, by Michael Crummey. It's wonderful, with just a tiny bit of magical realism thrown in to complement the Newfoundland storytelling! I do love this novel!! :blush:

Another book for which I am a HUGE champion, is Miriam Toews' All My Puny Sorrows. Toews (pronounced "TAVES") is just such a great storyteller. Her characters are so real, and funny, quirky, and flawed. This story is full of life and full of heartbreak, and deals with some pretty big, difficult issues with grace and heart.

(Jennifer D.) #5

Sounds very interesting!! I love when books move people so much they evangelize on their behalf!

(BookBroad) #6

A Man Called Ove is just a flat-out wonderful book.

The Universe Versus Alex Woods

I Will Always Write Back

Let's Pretend This Never Happened

The Shepherd's Crown

(Cheri) #7

The Book Thief is the first book that comes to mind but there are so many!

(Jennifer D.) #8

Such a great book!! Wonderful recommendation, @Cheri!

(Jennifer D.) #9

I laughed so hard while reading this book, @BookBroad! I have to read her newest one sooner rather than later.

(Janine Tabor) #10

I've had The Book Thief on my tbr for a while. I must get to it!

Another fun one is The Wake of the Dragon by Jaq D. Hawkins. It's an airship pirate adventure in the Steampunk genre. I noticed on Twitter that it's on sale at the moment.

(Cheri) #11

I just grabbed the ebook/audio combo for The Wake of the Dragon. Sounds like a fun read!

(Janine Tabor) #12

Cool, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Cheri! Lots of good reviews on it so other people must be liking it too.

(RiverTree Reads) #13

thumbs up for The Book Thief!

(BookBroad) #14

I read this on a plane and I'm pretty sure my seatmates (total strangers) thought I was losing my mind I was laughing so much.

(susan saeugling) #15

I agree water for elephants,was great I picked it up because I had nothing to read and I finished it that afternoon

(susan saeugling) #16

Everyone should read The Lovely Bones ,I still read this book once a year at least

(Janine Tabor) #17

I tried to read that one but I just couldn’t take the descriptive scenes of what happened to the little girl.

(susan saeugling) #18

I agree that part was hard to get thru,however the descriptions of this childs heaven really moved me.I was also impressed with how the author descibed how such a terrible,terrible tragedy effects families.

(Cathleen Grey) #19

A Fated Fantasy Quest by Humphrey Quinn. There are 11 books in this series. All I can say is if you enjoyed the Harry Potter books you will definitely enjoy this series. I am on book 11 now and will be sad to finish this series.

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #20

My recommendation for a MUST READ is THE BAKER’S SECRET by Stephen P. Kiernan.

THE RECIPE BOX by Viola Shipman is also one I am calling a MUST READ.