What Do You Read to Get into That Halloween Spirit?

(Riffle Horror) #1

I’ve heard of people reading certain books to get into that ‘Christmas Spirit’ but do you read certain books to get into that ‘Halloween Spirit’? Tell us about them.

(Riffle Horror) #2

I’ll go first. I do have books that I read every October. In fact, I have a bunch of them. Let me explain.

There are a few books that really scream ‘Halloween’ at me and reading them will usually get me in the spirit of the season. In fact, there are too many of them to read all of them each year. So I switch off.

This year I’m reading the Pine Deep Trilogy by Jonathan Maberry.

1. Ghost Road Blues (Which won the 2006 Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in a First Novel)
  2. Dead Man’s Song
  3. Bad Moon Rising

Next Year I’ll be reading the other three books.

1. Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge (Which won the 2006 Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in Long Fiction)
  2. Johnny Halloween by Norman Partridge
  3. The Night Country by Stewart O’Nan (Which was nominated for the 2003 Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in a Novel)

Then the year after that, I’ll revisit Pine Deep. I try not to let these books be the only Halloween themed reading, but they’re usually the first. This year I’m reading as much of the new Halloween Carnival series (5 volumes, edited by Brian James Freeman) as I can.

So, what are you reading for Halloween?

(Rebecca Wells Demaree) #3

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is the first read for October, the The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson and I usually throw in the new Stephen King or reread Salem’s Lot- this year I am going to read Sleeping Beauties. I like your choices- I am going to look in to those as well!!

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #4

I really am not into horror and normally do not read season-themed books.

I do like Halloween, though. Love the little ones in their costumes.

The scariest I get, and the closest to scary I get would be REBECCA. :slight_smile:

HAPPY READING!!

Elizabeth

(Riffle Horror) #5

The Graveyard Book and The Haunting of Hill House are wonderful choices. I’ve read them both. I haven’t read Sleeping Beauties yet but I hear some interesting things about it – a more thought-provoking book than Stephen King usually writes. Let me know what you think of it.

Have a happy Halloween. :smiling_imp:

(Riffle Horror) #6

I’ve heard wonderful things about Rebecca and it is considered a horror or gothic novel. Sad to say I haven’t read it yet and I should. Daphne du Maurier was a great writer. Did you know she wrote a short story called “The Birds” which Alfred Hitchcock turned into a movie of the same name? So don’t let Daphne fool you, she has some bite! :wink:

Enjoy your Halloween.:smiling_imp:

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #7

I always thought Alfred Hitchcock wrote THE BIRDS, but found out recently that it was Daphne du Maurier. Thanks for the confirmation.

I also found a book that she wrote that I didn’t know about.

JAMAICA INN is one I never knew she wrote…it was very gothic and sinister.

I cannot read Stephen King. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments.

(Riffle Horror) #8

That’s too bad that you can’t read Stephen King, but I understand.

Even when he writes stories that are not supposed to be horror, elements of horror slip in. Different Seasons was his first attempt at mainstream fiction and the stories still have a psychological horror and suspense that can put people off reading them. Heck, the novella in DS called “Breathing Lessons” is outright horror and actually not a little creepy.

Still, you have du Maurier, and she is very good company indeed.

Enjoy those costumed kids this Halloween.

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #9

Oh yes…du Maurier is excellent company. :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews) #10

Stephen King is brilliant but too scary for me.